What to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Markleshark, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Ok, been saving for a MacPro for long enough, and basically I have no idea now what to buy, so I'm looking for, well, a lot of advice.

I do know I want a Pro. I don't want an iMac and I don't want a Mac Mini. I want to use my own monitor(s) and I want to keep all my storage upgrades in one place, so the Pro is certainly the way to go.

As far as it's most intensive usage goes, Windows partition for gaming (I want to it be able to handle the latest and greatest in games 6 months from now, so please take that into consideration) and a fair bit of Video encoding, for my AppleTV.

I'm guessing to be honest, the standard Quad-Core will be more than sufficient and I will upgrade RAM and HDD later but what about Graphics Cards? It's a place where I have no knowledge, is the GT120 going to be sufficient? Also, would I be able to buy one later and just fit it as I would in my Windows box? I shouldn't see that being a problem, but can't be too sure.

Thanks in advance, I know it's a lot to ask.

2. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me the standard quad will be fine for you, but don't get the GT 120. It's just a rebadged 8600 GT. I would get the ATI 4870, since you said you will be gaming. But others can chime in... Personally, I would pick up an 8 core 2.8 GHz in a few weeks, when the internet stores try to liquidate them. Then upgrade the GPU to the ATI 4870, then HD's and RAM.

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

4. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Thanks for the replies so far. To be honest, while I understand the 2008 model is by no means slow or outdated, if I'm gonna drop £2000 on a machine, it's going to have to be the most update 2009 model. It wont be getting changed for at least 3-4 years after that, so that extra little bit of future proofing is a bonus.

5. buckthorn macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar quandary. I'm looking to replace my G5 at home. For me, the only two real possibilities are the new octo 2.26 or the 2008 octo 2.8. I'm going to sit tight and wait for more benchmarks. If the new 2.2.6 octo isn't that impressive, I will look for prices on the 2008s to drop a bit. I really don't think you would lose much, if anything, in terms of "future proofing" by choosing a 2008 over the 2009. I use a 2008 octo 2.8 at work, and have been very pleased with it.

6. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

Well, ive just bitten the bullet after two failed MBP purchases in four weeks and ordered a 2008 2.8 quad. I honestly believe they still present the best bang for buck as it is costing me £1100 +VAT which will be claimed back anyway. With the HD, RAM and graphics upgrades I plan to spread over the next few months I think it should last as long if not longer than the dual G5 its replacing.