Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seniorchap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
I've been asked to make a photo slideshow, and have no idea what to charge.

I'm an amateur, but my slideshows are pretty good, and I've got twenty-one one youtube right now.

This is what I do: I take about 100 to 150 of the very best shots that I've taken of the occasion. I make an iPhoto or iMovie slideshow out of it, then add music from itunes, add a photo to the DVD disk cover, then burn it.

So, what do you think I should charge. I would guess that the total time put into the whole thing would be about six hours including the photo shoot.

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Seniorchap

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Id pay $20 for an amatuer slidershow. Maybe like $30 or $40 for a professional one. Slideshows are pretty easy to do, so no body should charge to much.

If you have to take the pictures though as well, the price should be substantially higher, especially if you need to rent a studio, or set up your own studio.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
My brother-in-law did this sort of thing (well exactly this sort of thing) while he was out of work. He imported photos in from iPhoto to make a slideshow with transitions etc in iMovie. He used to charge up to $1000 and he'd get it.

He did this for weddings (and weddings are big business in Utah) so I think that people paid a lot more than they should have, but they still paid.

SLC

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Depends on the Event (Charge more for once-in-a-lifetime events, such as a wedding, over a b-day party etc.) and how you know them (give your friends a small break.)

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
My brother-in-law did this sort of thing (well exactly this sort of thing) while he was out of work. He imported photos in from iPhoto to make a slideshow with transitions etc in iMovie. He used to charge up to $1000 and he'd get it.

He did this for weddings (and weddings are big business in Utah) so I think that people paid a lot more than they should have, but they still paid.

SLC

Flyfishing's got it right, if its for a wedding I would charge no less than 300$. (and at that price the would be paying a third of what a wedding videographer/wedding photographer would charge.)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
You guys are forgetting 2 things

A) He is an amateur. Nothing wrong with that but he shouldnt be charging top dollar, until he becomes a professional.

B) He is not doing the entire wedding or party. He is just collecting the photos and making a slideshow of them. Like I said, if he was actually shooting the wedding, or any photos at all, that would warrant an increase of price, but that is not the case.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

I'm an amateur, but my slideshows are pretty good, and I've got twenty-one one youtube right now.

This is what I do: I take about 100 to 150 of the very best shots that I've taken of the occasion. I make an iPhoto or iMovie slideshow out of it, then add music from itunes, add a photo to the DVD disk cover, then burn it.

So, what do you think I should charge. I would guess that the total time put into the whole thing would be about six hours including the photo shoot.

Thanks,

Seniorchap

Make sure you have rights to the music or it could cost you six figures...

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
your only an amateur for as long as you don't charge. If you charge you are technically a pro... so if there as good as other professionals then charge on the lower end of the professional scale. Don't charge too much or you won't get another job.

If your planning to make a living out of this in the future charging to little will make it seam as if your not as good as others. Remember, often people will judge the quality of the final product depending on the price.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Thanks,

Seniorchap

((Hourly rate * 6) + (Digital photo price * 151) + (Music royalty charge) + (DVD price + DVD case price)) = base cost then (base cost) * (profit margin) + base cost = price.

Unlike the other posters here, I wouldn't sell 151 images for $20-$50 under any circumstance I can image where I didn't already get significant revenue from the same client where the above costs were covered in my original margins.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
((Hourly rate * 6) + (Digital photo price * 151) + (Music royalty charge) + (DVD price + DVD case price)) = base cost then (base cost) * (profit margin) + base cost = price.

Yeah, I'd think of it like that too if he was a real pro, and photography is what he did for a living. I can't imagine charging more than $500 if he knew he wasn't the best man for the job. That's $2 x 150 for him to snap a photo of 150 people, and $50 to put a bunch of photos together in iMovie. Add royalty charge because of the song, and that's around $500.

Sure, that mean undercutting a real pro who could charge $1000 for this sort of job, but then you're admittedly offering less experience as well in terms of lighting and such.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
your only an amateur for as long as you don't charge. If you charge you are technically a pro... so if there as good as other professionals then charge on the lower end of the professional scale. Don't charge too much or you won't get another job.

If he has the same quality as the professionals, than THAT is what makes him a professional.
I do not know about music rights, but isnt it if you put in the credits at the end the name of the song and who its by, then you dont need to pay royalties?
And if you need to pay royalties, how do you go about that? send them a percentage of your earnings? Or what?

Anyways, I think if you are doing photo shop, and making really nice DVD cases and stuff, than charge a little more.
But if all your doing is throwing it on to iPhoto, putting a few tunes in it, and then putting a dvd label on the DVD, than that would warrant about $20-$50, depending on the amount of pictures you use.

If your taking the photos, editing them, and pay music royalties etc, and making a professional looking DVD case and label, than you can charge $500+

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I do not know about music rights, but isnt it if you put in the credits at the end the name of the song and who its by, then you dont need to pay royalties?
And if you need to pay royalties, how do you go about that? send them a percentage of your earnings? Or what?

You're selling someone else's song, just crediting them isn't going to give them the return for creating it, and copyright violations for pre-registered work in the US include statutory and actual damages, up to something like $120,000 per violation. Once you start selling things, the level of infringement changes, as does the necessity to carry insurance of some sort if you're at all going to protect yourself.

You must license the work, you generally have to pay to license it and there are several companies that make their catalogs available for licensing. Just like with pictures, it's up to them what they charge for what song.

Finally, low-balling to "get more work" is a very difficult cycle to break, as the word-of-mouth sales stuff includes price more often than not.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I have been doing this for people like friends and family for a while in FCE and PS and I am currently looking a contract for a local mortuary. photo slideshows are very popular for funereals now a days and a mortican has been scanning photos and just throwing them into windows movie maker with some generic tunes. i wonder how does one buy the rights to use music?

mattwe

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I have been doing this for people like friends and family for a while in FCE and PS and I am currently looking a contract for a local mortuary. photo slideshows are very popular for funereals now a days and a mortican has been scanning photos and just throwing them into windows movie maker with some generic tunes. i wonder how does one buy the rights to use music?

ASCAP and BMI collect royalties for almost every song.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

just a heads up that if you are going to do this, be prepared to drop your life at any given moment. i looked into as another line to my business, but the turnaround times can be as short as 2 days. it's great if you can drop everything, but if you can't (as I couldn't), try not committing to something you can't follow through on.

You are right though...it is big business.

Cheers,
Keebler

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
whatever you do, make an estimate outlining each and every real and possible cost and send it to the client BEFORE starting work. have them sign it if possible or keep an email response indicating it's a go.

Not doing this could be a major problem.

Also,

Honour your time. don't undersell yourself just b/c you're not a professional. still value your time.

I don't charge by the hour b/c that is completely ambiguous. I charge per item which may sound silly and/or more work for the invoice, but it leaves nothing to the imagination (ie. the bride and groom can't say 'well, it took you 6 hours, but really, how long did it take?)

Someone else mentioned the breakdown per photos taken by you or adding photos from someone else. Break it all down.

good luck.
keebler

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
He said "they collect royalties" but how do you go about actually getting the rights to the music, and also calculating how much its going to cost, paper work, process, etc? (anyone know for canada?)

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
If the client owns and provides the songs, then you didn't really sell them the song, they are just paying you for you service of compiling the photos and songs, correct? That's the way I would see it...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I would honestly want to know why that isn't the case.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
If the client owns and provides the songs, then you didn't really sell them the song, they are just paying you for you service of compiling the photos and songs, correct? That's the way I would see it...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I would honestly want to know why that isn't the case.

I think "providing the song" means the client says put this song in there because it means a lot to us, not actually writing and playing the music, therefore copyrights must be applicable at some point because you are using a bands song to make you money?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.