Resolved What to check for when buying a second hand 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sonicrobby, Apr 25, 2014.

1. sonicrobby, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Essentially Im looking to get a 5s off CL, and now previous users' apple info is needed to activate it correct? what must I check for/must be done at the time of purchase to not require his information in the future?

ANSWER:
    Wiped and in setup screen: the Apple ID requirement will show up after it asks you to put the SIM card in it.

Not erased: Turn "find my iPhone" off in the iCloud settings.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That find my phone is off, and there's no lock on it. Basically you need all the information from the buyer off the phone and you have the ability to wipe/reset it yourself.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

4. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Make sure that Find my Iphone is turned off under icloud settings. If it's already off and no icloud account is present you should be good.

You can also request them to go into their Find my Iphone account either on another iphone or a PC and remove the phone from their devices if it's still listed there.

5. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Ok as long as 'find my iphone' is turned off, the phone is no longer connected to a user (in terms of reseting). And if the phone is already wiped (at the initial setup screen) does that mean I wont need the guys info at all either?

6. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Right, if you're able to go through the initial setup after the phone is wiped without it asking you to enter a previous icloud accounts passcode then you're good. It should ask you to input your own icloud info if the phone has been reset and wiped.

7. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

you can also bring your laptop and restore it as a new device, then pop in your sim

8. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Keep in mind that even though you may be able to use it now, if the original owner stops paying there bill that iphone will be a brick

9. corys00 macrumors regular

Let me rephrase this.. If the original owner purchased the phone through their carrier's equipment installment plan and the device isn't paid off or they stop paying their bill that has an installment plan, then your phone stands a strong strong chance of becoming a brick and only paying off the installment plans will make it work again. Call the carrier to find out if it has any installment plans on it.

10. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

i appreciate it?

11. corys00 macrumors regular

The way you wrote it there was nothing describing how that scenario would happen.

12. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Lol yes, it was pretty vague, thanks for the clarification

You win.

I ended up buying one, it was wiped and in the setup screen. Couldn't put my sim in it because I didn't have the ejector tool (or any other small thin metal rod to use). The screen right after you put the SIM card in is the one where the apple ID is.

Turns out the one I bought wasn't the person-I-bought-it-from's phone. He wouldn't answer my calls or texts. I ended up taking it to Apple and AT&T. ATT managed to track down the original owner and we are working together to catch the thief. The phone was apparently stolen somewhere in shipping it back to Apple/ATT for a screen repair, and the initial owners did get a replacement. Police report is filed, and time will tell how this works out.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If I read this right - you ended up buying a stolen iPhone? Whose out of their cash now- you or the intermediate buyer (seller to you)?

14. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im out the cash

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Ouch.. Sorry bro

16. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Sorry this happen to you - I stopped buying electronic devices from CL just because of all the scammers and stolen equipment

17. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Ditto. It's just not worth it anymore. I either just pony up the few extra bucks and buy direct from Apple or take a gamble on Swappa. I've never had bad luck on Swappa selling or buying.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Unwanted advice: if you can't buy an iPhone from an Apple Store or through a carrier under contract, you probably can't afford an iPhone. Probably you'd be better off accepting it, instead of buying second hand luxury devices from strangers through a great tool thieves love.

19. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Yeah, if I were to buy off of CL, I would demand that they meet me at the Sprint store (or whoever your carrier is) and not make the transaction until they verify that the phone can be activated.

20. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Wiped, screen is on setup screen.

Giveaways that it's a 5S. check the flash dual led, and touchID. if its space gray or gold its a 5s.

21. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i couldn't have said this better myself. live and learn i guess.

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Why exactly should a person buy a brand new iPhone from Apple or shell out even more money to their carrier when a used iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 will do the job?

My point: I needed a new phone for my dad. We found a good deal on a "New in box" iPhone 5 on Craigslist. I met up with the guy at a coffee shop, opened the box, plugged my sim card in and went through the setup process. As it turns out, the phone was still running iOS 6, so Activation lock wasn't a concern(Even if it was, going through the setup process would have caught it.) Then I contacted my carrier to verify that the phone wasn't blacklisted. I went through all of this before I handed the other person any cash.

We ended up with an actual New in box iPhone 5(with 12 months of remaining warranty to boot), and I was able to unlock the phone because it wasn't tied to a contract. It cost $325.

If you take the proper precautions, you'll save yourself a potential headache(and probably cash) in the future.

23. mjschabow macrumors 65816

This. I bought a new iPhone 5s on ebay a few weeks ago.

1. I knew I was protected by Ebay/Paypal so if the item wasn't as described (bad esn when the listing said good esn), I'd get my money back.

2. I bought from a buyer who had over 1,000 positive comments.

24. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

What stops the seller from reporting the phone lost or stolen after he sold it to you? or he stops making monthly payments? In either of those cases, your device would be blacklisted.

How much precaution is enough when buying a pre-owned device?

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The particular iPhone I bought happened to be purchased out of contract, and already paid for.

As for the phone being reported as stolen by the seller, that's really a judgement call. Have you ever bought a used car?