What to check for when buying phone online or via craigslist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhags8, Sep 29, 2014.

1. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

I'm about to buy another 6 plus from someone on Craigslist and I'm wondering the best way to make sure I'm not getting screwed. I was going to have him turn it on and show me the receipt he used to purchase it to show its paid off. Can I also type the Meid into apples system to check the warranty?
    Basically is there any new ways to scam someone?

2. dago5252 macrumors member

dago5252

I would bring the Glock. Maybe there is way to run the serial number to confirm its an Apple product.

Good Luck

3. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Meet at your cell phone carrier's store location. (T-Mobile store etc...)

Have him show you the receipt to show that the phone is FULLY paid off and NOT on some kind of monthly payment plan. It'll show the phone's serial number for you to confirm.
    Then, even ask the T-Mobile (or store) rep to confirm the phone is paid off if he's cool with letting them look up his account information.

Bring your old sim card and put it in the phone to see if it works and received calls/texts.

He should have the box and the serial/IMEI on the box should match what is in the phone's settings. If he doesn't have a box and says he "threw it away", that's very fishy... especially since these phones are barely 2 weeks old.

If he has ANY issues with any of the above, something is fishy. I have sold many iPhones and I always let the buyer do all of this so they can be reassured. We're talking about close to or over a thousand dollars... better to be EXTRA careful and cautious than to get screwed.

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This is a very good plan, should almost be a sticky.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Good info in this thread.

I'd add a few more things. Meet up in a well lit, busy area. Sometimes with craigslist transactions, you have bigger issues than the cell phone itself. Keep yourself safe!

6. z28black98, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

z28black98 macrumors regular

I always ask in text what kind of vehicle they are in and will text a friend or my wife the make/model along with tag number when I arrive, name and phone number of said person I am meeting and where I'm meeting them. I also carry my glock 23 anywhere I go....just in case.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

That's actually a great idea.

I get a feeling for them over text/phone/voice. You can usually get an idea if you're meeting the average joe or someone on a mission.

8. z28black98 macrumors regular

I've always used method I mentioned above on anything from cell phones, to a wii to multiple PS4s during holiday season. Never had any issue. Once you know the make, model and color of car, have your text already typed out minus the tag number, once you arrive type the tag number and hit send. Simple as that! Have done this not only for cl but also the for sale groups in my area on FB. Have yet to have a bad experience.

9. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Why dont you go the Swappa route ? Its much safer than Cl and the prices are comparable

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm going to start doing that as well. However, I try to avoid craigslist deals like the plague.

11. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Are you in the Los Angeles area?

12. z28black98 macrumors regular

You and me both. I'm usually the seller, rarely the buyer. But with ebay and their high fees now, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

13. bhags8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it happened and we met in a McDonalds. All went well. I asked to see reciept of him paying in full, etc. He got it sent directly from Apple so I think I'm okay. Thanks a lot guys. This thread should be stickied though.

----------

Oh and I usually go the swappa route but :
    1) I couldn't wait lol
    2) most of the 6plus' on Swappa are by 0 feedback new members or they were too expensive

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree. I'm almost never on eBay anymore. Too high of a chance to get scammed.