What to check in new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nba188, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Nba188 macrumors member

Hi guys .

I will buy new macbook pro very soon.
    I want to know what i have to check when i open the box? There is some check list?

In my country we dont have the option to return the product at all..
    We can change only if we find some bug when the seller at the store open the box next to me for the first time

2. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Even if you don't have the option to return the machine (I deduce that your country doesn't have an Apple Store and that MBPs are sold through authorized resellers), you should still have a 1-year warranty in case something goes wrong down the line. That said, I'd personally check the following things:

- Screen: check that there are no marks, no glaring color uniformity or backlighting issues, no clusters of dead pixels.
    - Keyboard: press each key a few times to check that there aren't any stuck or unresponsive ones.
    - Chassis: inspect it under direct light to check that there are no dents or scratches. One common manufacturing problem with the current MBPs is the presence of a faint blemish under the speaker grills.
    - Speakers: just play something!
    - Trackpad: use the Mac normally for a couple of minutes, do some stuff on the desktop, try out a few gestures.
    - Ports: verify that all of them are working (connect some external device, plug the power adapter in each port).

When you're done, run a diagnostic test for potential hardware issues: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Obviously you can't check for every possible defect in a store, but these steps should rule out the most common out-of-the-box problems.

3. Nba188 thread starter macrumors member

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Someone let him know how a new MBP is packed (such as plastic on the screen) so that he can be more certain that it's a new, previously unopened one.

5. mlemonds macrumors 65816

mlemonds

Also would be worth checking out some unboxing videos on YouTube.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

7. chabig macrumors 603

Use common sense. Check the same things you check with any product.

1) Does it look like it’s supposed to?
    2) Are all of the parts included?
    3) Does it work?

8. Nba188 thread starter macrumors member