What to check in refurb rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cowgod2006, Feb 22, 2014.

1. cowgod2006 macrumors newbie

Hey guys! So I just got a late 2013 refurbished macbook pro retina 13 incher with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd.

I was just wondering what things to check for, especially faulty hardware, since it is a refurb.

1) Hairline fractures on screen and casing?
    2) Check wifi works?
    3) Check if all usb/thunderbolt ports work?
    4) Check if SSD is faulty or not? (How would I do this?)
    5) Check if keyboard and trackpad work fine?
    6) Benchmark cpu and memory on macbook?

Anything else you guys can recommend or tips to do these checks? Such as good benchmarking tools and what to look for in hairline fractures?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you don't see any physical defects, use the computer as you normally would. Apple tests everything out, before selling it. Should something surface later on, then you deal with it.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I was just wondering why you feel that a refurb needs to be checked more closely than a brand-new-out-of-the-box unit?
    Refurbs are not necessarily defective items that were returned, which can be for a variety of reasons (or no reason at all within the first couple of weeks)
    Returns simply can't be sold as "new", even with no faults or repairs.
    Anyway, I don't think it makes sense to change what you look for, with either new, or refurb. Warranty, in either case, is the same.
    If anything, refurbs might be tested more closely than new ones before being re-sold.

4. mhdena macrumors 6502

Op probably has never bought refurbed anything before.

5. cowgod2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is less of the "refurb" title and more of a "check for anything wrong" problem. I like to make sure all my electronics are working and in perfect order when I receive it.

I understand Apple has one of the greatest refurb programs in the tech industry, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be vigilant against defects, new or refurb. They have a great warranty program and if anything is wrong with my mac, I fully intend to use the warranty.

As for the apple test diagnostics! Thanks! This seems like a great tool to use!

6. mrweirdo, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I do the check for IR with the screen as well. Can't recall the specific link ATM but with a search it can be easily found. The SSD benchmarking app I keep seeing on these forums escapes me as well. Its a neat tool if you care about that sort of thing(diff in SSD manuf) Otherwise the most importance would probably be checking the battery health.

*edit I believe this is the test page http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

7. cowgod2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any suggestions as how to test battery heath?

8. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

You can also click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen, and then click on "About this Mac." Then click on "more info." Once that screen is showing, look on the left side for "power" and click it. That will also show you the current health of your battery.

9. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Love coconutbattey :) In fact I think that might be possibly one of the first apps I used on Mac notebooks.

10. eneisch, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

eneisch macrumors 6502a

Be advised that with Coconut Battery (and other like battery apps) I am getting some weird results on my late 2013 15" rMBP. I did some research and found others are having like issues. It seems that the app has not been updated for the latest rMBPs or Apple has changed something on their end. For example the rMBP reports my battery is 100% charged but Coconut Battery will report it is only 96% charged.

I was concerned until I saw others are having this issue. My hypothesis is that Apple runs some battery conditioning software that lets the battery run down a little even when it is plugged in to prolong battery life. My Lenovo T420 work PC does something similar to this.

Just wanted to let you know so you don't freak out if the Coconut Battery results differ from what is expected.