What to choose between 2.93 Quad or Octo?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by M&M, Apr 28, 2009.

1. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

Hi everybody,

I know that there are some other threads about the same topic, Which MacPro to choose but even if i read all the threads I'm still confused about what MacPro to buy for my self.

I currently own a MacBook Pro 2.6GHz early 2008 with 4Go RAM.

Most of the time I work with iMovie and iPhoto
    I keep about 40Go of music with iTunes and a lot of movies too.
    I use also Aperture 2

I work at a beginner/medium level with Final Cut Express.
    I work most of the time with AVCHD files (family reunions / my girls)

The only thing that annoy me is that when come the time to rasterize or encode the project that I create it takes a lot of time. (More that 3 to 4 hours)

So I was looking to get me a MacPro.

Here's my dilema, the 2.93GHz Quad-Core or one of the Octo-Core model.
    Why I hesitate, first money.
    The Octo-core 2.93 is very expensive

I like the idea for the 2.93 Quad-Core but I'm affraid that the limitation of RAM will be a future problem (taking note that SnowLeopard is coming).

Since the Quad-Core is limited only to 8GB of RAM.

I spect to keep this machine until it dies of old age. I don't plan to spend a lot of money every two or three years.

I had read the articles in MacWorld about the Quad and Octo Core but I'm still not completelly clear for which is better.
    (It’s harder to recommend that people spend $800 more for the new $3,299 2.26GHz eight-core mac pro if they don’t run software written for the top-of-the-line Mac Pro’s eight processor cores.)

I don't want to get an iMac, so I rest my case and hope that your anwsers will help me decide which one to get.

Thank you

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Quad can take up to 16GB (4x4GB).

The thing you also have to keep in mind is the extremely high price premium on 4GB sticks.

For example, to get to the maximum 16GB (4x4GB) in a Quad, you would need to spend $859.99 (OWC), whereas in an Octad you could reach the same amount of RAM with 8x2GB sticks for $287.99. That price difference is something else that should factor into your decision.

3. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

Thank you, I will keep this in mind.

I asume the 2.93 Quad-core can get only 8Go/RAM since Apple give this indication on the specs of the Mac Pro

Memory
    1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
    8-core: Eight memory slots (four per processor) supporting up to 32GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB DIMMs
    Quad-core: Four memory slots supporting up to 8GB of main memory using 1GB or 2GB DIMMs

4. superscientific macrumors regular

Yes the quad can take 16GB of Ram. As noted it is expensive for 4GB sticks right now. OWC has confirmed that 16GB work in the new Quads. It is over $800 right now for the 16GB Set. Only $144 for the 8GB. They will come down. Did you think about getting the 2.8 Octo Refurb? I do the same tasks as you do on my new Quad and it is working out fine. I have 8GB of RAM.

5. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

I will prefer a 2009 model since I was planning on getting the ATI 4870 video card.

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

7. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

I will prefert to get the 2009 model since the bus speed is faster than the late 2008 model.

I don't want to sound picky but my main concern is the processor speed and the memory.

8. Mac Husky macrumors regular

YES, INDEED - SOME :D
    You should have seen then a couple of times, that there is no 8GB limit for the quad at all ;)

Go for the 2.66 quad for your apps. If money isn´t a problem, take the 2.66 octo :rolleyes:

9. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

Thank you, I will take your point into consideration.

10. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

11. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

16GB at 4x4GB sticks. Again, remember that the 4GB sticks are more expensive.

12. Mac Husky macrumors regular

4 x 4GB - right know. Bigger sticks in the future may allow more.

The more RAM you want to have right now, the more it makes sence to have a look
    at the 2.66 octo instead. 2GB RAM sticks are much cheaper, so that you could get
    an octo for a reasonable price.

I would go for the 2.66 quad with 6GB of RAM and upgrade later on, if necessary at all.
    Save some money (vs the 2.93) an buy a SSD for system and apps - or maybe 2 of them.

13. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You really need to do some more homework... if you had, you would realize this is false and it might change your thoughts on things.

Read around, there are dozens of threads just like this... with lots of great info for you.

14. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

OK, I have another question.

To what kind of user does the 2,93 Quad-Core will it be recommended?

Why does apple offers this two models?

15. Mac Husky macrumors regular

Two of them :D
    Serious questions :confused:
    Right. And it´s a kind of idle to repeat all that thing a couple of times a day :eek:
    Especially as you don´t even have to use the search function. Just scroll up and down a little bit and you will have reading stuff for hours :D

16. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

Does anyone have a link to a comparaison between the 2.93 Quad and the Octo?

17. Abidubi macrumors 6502

18. Mac Husky macrumors regular

Obviously found someone who nevertheless feeds you :p

If you´d really had a look in only one of the other threads to this topic,
    you wouldn´t have to ask for such a link. I guess you are kidding :confused: