What to choose!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ranny2, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Hi. I have a bit of a dilemma. Currently, I have enough to buy an iPad, however really want a mac...
    There are three options:
    1. Buy an iPad now (Well, wait for iPad 2) and then spend a couple of years saving for a Mac
    2. Buy an iMac in the coming months as soon as I have enough.
    3. Buy a MacBook Pro in the coming months as soon as I have enough.
    I already have a PC laptop and an iPod Touch and I really want an iPad and a Mac.
    I will be using it for: Surfing the web, watching YouTube videos, viewing photos and Facebook, Amazon etc.
    Please help! :) Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

11" MBA is basically like an iPad without touch but it's a real computer (and Mac). It would also be fine for your usage. It's really up to you though, we don't know how much you want and what.

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with your current laptop?

For your usage, the PC laptop and iPod Touch are more than enough.

4. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

people dont always upgrade when its necessary do they? sometimes people just want a change

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

If I were in your shoes, personally, I'd get the iMac first. You already have a laptop for portability (even if it is a PC ;)) and after the iPad 2 comes out, you can probably pick up a first gen iPad significantly cheaper that current prices.

If you cannot live without whatever the new features are on the next iPad, you may change your mind but this is probably the best way to get both a Mac and an iPad in the shortest period of time. Actually, check that--you could probably get 'em both even quicker if you could live with a previously used Mac.

My other advice--if you insist on getting a 'new' Mac, hit up the refurbished section of the Apple Online store--can save you hundreds of $ and you still get what is essentially a new Mac with the same Applecare warranty.

6. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help! I would deffinetly get refurbished, in fact, basically all of my devices (laptop, iPod Touch etc) are refurbished! I think you save money and don't get anything worse. I think I might go by your suggestion - it sounds like a good idea. Do the slightly older iMacs (like the 24" for example) run well and quickly? Would it run the Mac App Store and iLife well? Thanks

7. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah I would go for a mac over an ipad. An ipad is great as a supplement to a mac. Yeah the older imacs run really well, I currently have a 24" one which is over 2 years old and it's excellent! [​IMG]