What to choose?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darels, May 12, 2011.

1. darels macrumors member

I am going to study architecture in London from September, and now i am considering what computer to buy, my budged is quite limited. I need portability and performance, as i will need work with such programs as autocad and etc. and also i would like to cary it around most of the time. Need an advice.

Macbook pro 13 inch 2011 + External monitor.
    or
    Ipad + imac 21.5'?

First option would be less expensive, but imac would give me extra performance.
    What do you think?

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Tough call!

I'd lean towards the iMac + iPad. The 13" MBP is capable, but the iMac has the edge. iPad is nice to carry around and browse on.

However, if you plan on taking notes in lectures on a computer the iPad isn't the best option. For prolonged typing you will want the MBP.

Most UK university students get ~14% off and a 3 year warranty for free online. That's for Macs, not iPads. Were you accounting for that in the price as well?

3. darels thread starter macrumors member

No, i wasn't, i was thinking to buy it before studies starts, i didn't even know about that discount. Anyway, is ipad such a bad thing for taking notes? I mean, won't you just get used to typing?

4. iStudentUK, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It depends on your subject/uni. I read chemistry, and watching the two or three people with laptops try and keep up with typing equations and drawing diagrams was quite funny sometimes. 95% of us used paper.

If using a laptop is the norm in architecture the lecturers will accommodate this and an iPad may be enough. Some lecturers have powerpoint slides you can annotate, some will just talk and you have to write like crazy. It will take a while to get fast enough to keep up with an iPad! I guess it is possible, but I'd lean towards a laptop, especially if any equations/diagrams are involved.

If you plan on typing notes in a lecture, I'd go for the MBP. If you plan on writing by hand, go for the iPad. It's light and great for browsing, writing emails etc.

Shame you have to buy early, free warranty + 14% off is a great deal!

5. darels, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

darels thread starter macrumors member

I've been writing by hand for ages and i think i'll keep doing that during lectures in uni.

I am not from UK, and i was going to get a computer till i go there, but now i think i should buy an ipad firstly and as soon as i start my studies buy an imac with that 14% discount. Do you think thats a good option?

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I prefer writing by hand as well. When I'm in an exam I tend to picture my notes in my head!

The iMac will give you the power, and the iPad will be great for carrying around and browsing the internet etc. That would be my choice.

Buying the iPad and waiting for the iMac may be an idea (I guess you have a computer now to activate the iPad). Check your uni has the deal with Apple (most do but not all, when you have 5 posts you can PM me and I can check if you like). The base 21.5" iMac becomes ~£880 with discount, and includes a 3 year warranty.

I'd get a few more opinions before you decide, I'm just one guy! :)

7. darels thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much!

So, are there any other opinions?

8. darels thread starter macrumors member