What to choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Octopus, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Octopus macrumors newbie

I am in a bit of a dilemma.

I was going to purchase a new iMac to replace my windows machine and have been getting excited about this.

Then I went to the Apple store and noticed that the macbook pro will allow for connection to a 30inch display and that there is a company that does docking stations.

The primary reason for the mac was that I do a lot of photograpthy and wanted to purchase Aperture. I also want to try movie editing as we have a new baby on the way.

The 30 inch screen would be great, however I dont need the excessive spec of the mac pro, so settled on the iMac.

Would the Macbook pro be a better option? The portability would be great, as would the big screen. My main question is will it be powerful enough, or should I stick with the simplicity of the 24" iMac???

2. Octopus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking at the 15" macbook pro by the way.

Thanks!

3. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

yeah if money isn't much of an issue for you, then I would definately go for the MacBook pro as it has better specs and better portability. And the MacBook pro would be brilliant through the 30" cinema display. And it would also be good for photo and video editing with your new baby on the way :)

4. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Mac Mini

The Mac Mini I beleave works with the 30" display.

5. illicium macrumors regular

The MBP has a LOT of power. It is no less capable than the iMac. The only area where it falls behind the iMac is options for internal hard drives. The iMac has bigger and faster desktop hard drives. Other than that, they basically have the same chipsets inside. So basically what I am saying is, if the iMac can do it, so can the MBP, and it can do it anywhere.

I currently have the 2.2 SR MBP and its handled anything I have thrown at it with EASE, Adobe CS3, and Gaming included.

6. Octopus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    Now I just need to find another $2000 bucks!

I guess a large home based backup drive would solve the hard drive shortcoming.

How do the graphics cards differ betrwwen the MBP and the iMac?