Resolved What to delete before going in for repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kanunu, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Kanunu, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

Kanunu macrumors 6502

I am taking my iMac to a 3d party (but Apple approved) reseller to have the HDD replaced. It is failing, as seen in delays and as reported by Disc Utility.app. However is still functional and I would like to delete all personal information and passwords before handing it over to non Apple employees. Of course I will delete user generated files such as in Documents, Photos, Quicken etc. Also I plan to delete login.keychain and metadata.keychain library files. I can go into each browser that I use and clear the respective caches.

My key questions are as follows: Can (or should) I clear the whole cache folder from root drive/library/caches and root/users/username/library/caches? Is there anything else that I should delete?

I know that I could just clean format the drive before bringing it in but I thought it might be better if they could run it enough to take a look. I plan to ask them to format the new drive but not install the OS. I plan to boot and restore from a clone drive made by Carbon Copy Cloner.app.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Just create another account with a new password. Give them this one. In all fairness, Apple techs are busy enough not to worry about reading your files!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree with John T. Your data is far more interesting to you than it is to anyone else. Apple techs see thousands of Macs. They don't have the time or inclination to waste time looking at user files.

4. Kanunu thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to cast aspersions

but these are not really Apple techs. They work for a 3d party in an underdeveloped country. That said maybe I am just being paranoid but I had my identity stolen once about 10 years ago and it is not fun.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're that concerned, clone the drive (make sure you test booting from the clone), then format and reinstall Mac OS X on the internal drive. That way they can boot up and run tests, but won't have access to anything.