what to delete?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jamesl94, May 25, 2009.

1. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have had my macbook for a couple of months now.

I have about 400 pictures, a few songs on itunes and thats about it.

I have a 160 gb HDD, but now I have just over 127gb.

What can I delete to get some more memory back? Im not bothered about printers or anything like that. Just want the bare minimum.

James

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get a program like Disk Inventory X to see what's taking up all the space. You've got so much free space available I'd say it's not really an issue at this point though.

4. Jamesl94 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replys guys.

I have deleted the languages and that has given me some more space.

Does anyone know how many GB the whole system takes to start with?

James

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

6. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

how much space did the languages free up?
    did you delete the older architectures? is there any risk in doing this? kinda scares me for some reason lol

7. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

CleanMyMac will get rid of all your cache files, unnecessary PPC code, library and language files etc... Really good bit of software!

8. nemanja0404 macrumors newbie

nemanja0404

same problem

i have the same problem with my mac. The thing is, i have 10 or more GB used in my MacHD, and all the time, mostly when i download some torrent, this window pops up saying "your start/up disk is full".

What I am to do?

p.s.
    i tried to make this maintenance thing, with Terminal from Utilities folder and it doesn't work. Can somebody help me with that also?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe those threads about that will help:
    http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

It seems to be a common problem with torrenting, especially with Transmission. Have you tried uTorrent?

10. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Have you restarted you computer lately?
    I spent a day watching YouTube videos and I ended up with about 3GB of cache from the videos loading, a restart wiped that out. If you went a few weeks without restarting it could add up.

Also, try WhatSize, if you only have a limited iTunes and iPhoto library one of your Caches maybe out of control, or a MobileMe backup may be malfunctioning (if you have MobileMe).

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Disk Inventory X is a free alternative to WhatSize, also a little bit slower when starting.

12. nemanja0404 macrumors newbie

nemanja0404

thank you, mate. No i haven't tried uTorrent. I usualy get them from piratebay and then download them through LimeWire. I honestly don't know what a uTorrent is...

ANd, yes, I haven't restarted my :apple: in some time. And I heared about this thing, when you restart your comp, when that white screen with just an :apple: in the middle shows up, you press shift and hold it for like 20 sec.
    The thing is i am not shure if that is the proper way, bcs i forgot. Does any1 know?

13. nemanja0404 macrumors newbie

nemanja0404

about library

what things in library are most necessary. cause i see that i have to many things there, most i don't know what they are even doing there. What can you suggest me to delete?

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Then I strongly suggest leaving it be. If you don't know the purpose or function of certain items, then you're courting disaster by unnecessarily messing with them. Even if you spent the time necessary to carefully go through each item, you'd likely save no more than 1-2GB, and that's after a couple years of use.

That being said, if you install an app, and later uninstall it, the Library entry for it may be safely deleted, if it still remains (and it would be in /Library/Application Support).