Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
In some countries, this 16 to 32 GB jump comes at a nice and sweet USD 550. ?

Here in Holland it's about $535 U.S. to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB. We pay 21% VAT and some additional Apple fee on top of U.S prices.

A ridiculous amount of money for memory, especially if you're never going to utilize it.

Again, I buy what I need now and upgrade to a brand new MacBook in 2-3 years. That's my way of future proofing.

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Well, in the end I ordered the 32GB version. Just to be on safe side for next years. The final decision was made based on use of VMware running Win10 and later Win11. I can give it easily 16GB to run properly without affecting the rest of the MBP.
I think I made the right choice (if I don’t look at the total price)

You didn’t mention running VMs in your original post, agree you made the right choice that being the case. My use case is exactly like your original post. I keep my machines for 2-3 years, so I’m sticking with the 16GB model.

Tim

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
Same here, the 32GB upgrade is painful. I have to get AppleCare at this level of spend, I’ve used it on every previous MBP since 2008. Also I hate running out of space which I can do on 512GB. So base+32+1tb seems like a nice compromise. I don’t video edit and the speed of my M1 MBA is fine so 2 more p-cores and twice the gfx should be great.

Reactions: cashinstinct

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
For my use, which I mostly use for school, so a lot of web browsing, typing papers, Apple Music and Spotify, and occasionally I do some designs on Pixelmator Pro, so I went ahead and got the base 14in model with 16GB, but I did go with the 10 CPU and 14 GPU, not sure that will make much difference. Plan on keeping this computer for 4-5 years, so I think I will be good. I just couldn't justify spending $400 plus dollars for more memory.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
For my use, which I mostly use for school, so a lot of web browsing, typing papers, Apple Music and Spotify, and occasionally I do some designs on Pixelmator Pro, so I went ahead and got the base 14in model with 16GB, but I did go with the 10 CPU and 14 GPU, not sure that will make much difference. Plan on keeping this computer for 4-5 years, so I think I will be good. I just couldn't justify spending $400 plus dollars for more memory.
This is the same for me. If I never went to Activity Manager, I never would have known my RAM usage.

Reactions: fel10

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The only item I upgraded on my otherwise base model MBP was to get 1TB of storage. I save a lot of photos and video and this was the only justifiable upgrade for me. Other than that, I'm going to be using this for web browsing, watching a movie while traveling, email, and light work apps.

I wouldn't gone Pro at all but I wanted the Pro Motion screen, 1080 facetime camera and the extra ports which will be useful.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
The only item I upgraded on my otherwise base model MBP was to get 1TB of storage. I save a lot of photos and video and this was the only justifiable upgrade for me. Other than that, I'm going to be using this for web browsing, watching a movie while traveling, email, and light work apps.

I wouldn't gone Pro at all but I wanted the Pro Motion screen, 1080 facetime camera and the extra ports which will be useful.
Same, the 13in and even the Air would've probably worked just fine for my daily use, hell, I could've just kept the 16 in I have now, but the Pro Motion screen, and 1080p FaceTime camera and extra ports were a no brainer.

Reactions: barkomatic

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
Take the 32gb. Don’t forget memory is unified.

Considering that modern gpus of similar performance are running on 8-12gb+ of vram.

You may as well get the larger memory option

That's what I'm thinking. If you're coming from 16GB with 4-8GB vRAM, you're losing total system memory. Granted, it's likely high performance due to the architecture, but I can just imagine Photoshop/Lightroom or FCPX, Apple Music, Chrome with a bunch of tabs open, all running at the same time (not that atypical for many). That 16GB is going to feel tight in a hurry.

Reactions: BasedReborn

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
That's what I'm thinking. If you're coming from 16GB with 4-8GB vRAM, you're losing total system memory. Granted, it's likely high performance due to the architecture, but I can just imagine Photoshop/Lightroom or FCPX, Apple Music, Chrome with a bunch of tabs open, all running at the same time (not that atypical for many). That 16GB is going to feel tight in a hurry.
8 or 12GB of VRAM? I really don’t think Apple would use 12GB of VRAM on a machine that has 16GB RAM. That’s just not happening. If that would be the case, they would have done the same as with the iPhone: No ProRes for 128GB models. They would have started to models at 32GB, like they did with the Max.

This to me just seems a way to try talking something straight.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Take the 32gb. Don’t forget memory is unified.

Considering that modern gpus of similar performance are running on 8-12gb+ of vram.

You may as well get the larger memory option
Yes, agreed. I think there's some validity to this - with the GPUs on these much more capable than the ones on the M1 MBA/13" MBP, it's not exactly apples-to-apples to compare experience using 16gb memory on the M1 models. The GPUs on these, depending on what you're doing, may end up utilizing more memory.

Once I convinced myself to bite the bullet for the steep price for 32GB memory upgrade, the "problem" now is going from M1 Pro 10/16 to M1 Max 10/24 is now just $200... On my 14" which is already $2899.

So just $200 to get 8 more gpu cores AND double the memory bandwidth (from 256-bit 200gb/s to 512-bit 400gb/s). I don't need it, but there's Apple upgrade pricing for you at its finest! If I was sticking with 16gb memory, then not really an issue (because you HAVE to be at 32gb memory to get M1 Max, which would be another $400), but once you're already decided on 32gb, well...

Reactions: dallegre

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
That's true if you were decided on the 10c/16c but the base will still be super powerful, base+32 is substantiually cheaper than going m1 max still.

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
8 or 12GB of VRAM? I really don’t think Apple would use 12GB of VRAM on a machine that has 16GB RAM. That’s just not happening. If that would be the case, they would have done the same as with the iPhone: No ProRes for 128GB models. They would have started to models at 32GB, like they did with the Max.

This to me just seems a way to try talking something straight.

My reference point is the Intel MBPs with 4 and 8GB vRAM in addition to the system RAM. I would say utilizing even 4-6GB for vRAM doesn't seem that out of the question on these new MBPs and that's going to eat into the unified memory.

Granted, a lot of people here are talking about MS Office, spotify, Safari (in my mind MBA type use), but it's not hard to imagine some relatively light or typical "creative" type use where 16GB starts to feel a little tight.

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
Yes, agreed. I think there's some validity to this - with the GPUs on these much more capable than the ones on the M1 MBA/13" MBP, it's not exactly apples-to-apples to compare experience using 16gb memory on the M1 models. The GPUs on these, depending on what you're doing, may end up utilizing more memory.

Once I convinced myself to bite the bullet for the steep price for 32GB memory upgrade, the "problem" now is going from M1 Pro 10/16 to M1 Max 10/24 is now just $200... On my 14" which is already $2899.

So just $200 to get 8 more gpu cores AND double the memory bandwidth (from 256-bit 200gb/s to 512-bit 400gb/s). I don't need it, but there's Apple upgrade pricing for you at its finest! If I was sticking with 16gb memory, then not really an issue (because you HAVE to be at 32gb memory to get M1 Max, which would be another $400), but once you're already decided on 32gb, well...

I know, once you move up to 32GB, the 10/24 MAX configuration is just taunting you. Apple knows what they're doing.

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
My reference point is the Intel MBPs with 4 and 8GB vRAM in addition to the system RAM. I would say utilizing even 4-6GB for vRAM doesn't seem that out of the question on these new MBPs and that's going to eat into the unified memory.

Granted, a lot of people here are talking about MS Office, spotify, Safari (in my mind MBA type use), but it's not hard to imagine some relatively light or typical "creative" type use where 16GB starts to feel a little tight.

I really hadn’t thought about the “unified” thing. My current MBP 16” usually runs at about 12GB used, just for system, and I have the 4GB video option.

Fans run hard when connected to external displays too. Also can’t the system cache files in memory to improve overall system performance?

Based on all this overthinking I just cancelled my 16” w/ 16GB and switched to 32GB. I feel better about it already, just sucks I have to wait 3-4 more weeks.

Tim

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands

But you do realize you really can not compare Intel and M1 next to each other, right? You can’t even compare M1 to M1 Pro or M1 Pro Max. You don’t know, I don’t know. No one knows until reviews are out.

@tdbrown75 So now you cancelled based on a decision you made because someone on a forum is making you doubt. I would first try 16GB RAM. If it’s not enough, I can always return. But you still can not compare this stuff.

Reactions: radgar and Blue Sun

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Well, in the end I ordered the 32GB version. Just to be on safe side for next years. The final decision was made based on use of VMware running Win10 and later Win11. I can give it easily 16GB to run properly without affecting the rest of the MBP.
I think I made the right choice (if I don’t look at the total price)
You will wake up in a few years thanking present you for the foresight.

Reactions: tdbrown75

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
@tdbrown75 So now you cancelled based on a decision you made because someone on a forum is making you doubt. I would first try 16GB RAM. If it’s not enough, I can always return. But you still can not compare this stuff.

I do run an M1 w/ 8GB at work (Office and VideoConference) and know for certain that 8GB is not enough, don’t want to even be close to tight on my personal machine.

Tim

Reactions: badsimian

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I do run an M1 w/ 8GB at work (Office and VideoConference) and know for certain that 8GB is not enough, don’t want to even be close to tight on my personal machine.

Tim
But 8GB is half of 16GB. You really can’t compare that. You basically are spending money on something you probably will not use. Who cares if you have 4GB or 20GB of RAM left? You would not use it any way. I would only consider 32GB if it turned out 16GB really was not enough *after* I used the 16GB Pro

Reactions: radgar

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I went for the 14" with M1 Max / 24 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and 2 TB of storage. I have a 2016 15" with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB of storage, and 5 years in it feels like having 32 GB would have allowed this thing to keep going strong for another few years but is starting to show its age with just 16. 5 years from now, the 32 GB of RAM will also feel sluggish, so in my opinion might as well spring for the 32.

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
But you do realize you really can not compare Intel and M1 next to each other, right? You can’t even compare M1 to M1 Pro or M1 Pro Max. You don’t know, I don’t know. No one knows until reviews are out.

Yes I do realize that, which is why I said "Granted, it's likely high performance due to the architecture" meaning the throughput performance of the new memory architecture. I'm not trying to argue, I just think it's something that light creative type users might want to keep in mind. I guess I'm mostly speaking to current 16GB MBP users who occasionally bump into that limit, and these folks probably know who they are and why they may or may not hit that limit. Of course, it would be great to see some application benchmarks from the different CPU/memory configs, but I haven't seen any yet.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Yes I do realize that, which is why I said "Granted, it's likely high performance due to the architecture" meaning the throughput performance of the new memory architecture. I'm not trying to argue, I just think it's something that light creative type users might want to keep in mind. I guess I'm mostly speaking to current 16GB MBP users who occasionally bump into that limit, and these folks probably know who they are and why they may or may not hit that limit. Of course, it would be great to see some application benchmarks from the different CPU/memory configs, but I haven't seen any yet.
Exactly. That’s why I will stay with 16GB, unless I figure on Tuesday that my MacBook has problems with it. But I guess 16GB is plenty enough.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
I went for the 14" with M1 Max / 24 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and 2 TB of storage. I have a 2016 15" with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB of storage, and 5 years in it feels like having 32 GB would have allowed this thing to keep going strong for another few years but is starting to show its age with just 16. 5 years from now, the 32 GB of RAM will also feel sluggish, so in my opinion might as well spring for the 32.

In 5 years, everything feels sluggish compared to the "best new thing" that just released, not just your RAM.
If you truly want to future proof, get what you need now or in the foreseeable future and save that extra cash for the next upgrade in about 3 years time instead of 5-6.

Yes, you've got your 32GB of RAM (that you might, or might not need) in 5 years, but what about the other specs and features?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.