What to do about a cracked top case

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Onigiri, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Onigiri macrumors newbie

I have a Rev A macbook which has and continues to serve me well. The only flaw is a slight crack in the top case on the left side which is hanging loose. Would it be possible to get something like this replaced and if so, what would be my best course of action and how much could I expect to pay?

Thanks!

2. Atlast3000 macrumors newbie

Head over to your local Apple store and try your luck. They fixed it free for me, should do the same for you. Beware though, the crack will almost inevitably come back. The plastic they use just seems to suck. A few weeks after replacing mine, a crack has appeared again. :(
    Good luck.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Yup. Time for a trip to the Apple store.

Make an appointment.

Its a known flaw, they will fix it for free.

Bought our MB on May 20th 2006, just had the topcase replaced for free.

I have heard that if it looks like its been beat to hell and back they may not -- but thats uncomfirmed.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

My brothers palm rest area cracked - is there a support article on the Apple site which explains that it's covered now? I'm taking it to a certified Apple repair center, actual store is too far away.

5. polotska macrumors 6502

From your description, it does sound like it is the well-documented cracking that Apple covers outside of warranty, so you may be in luck.