What to Do About Boring Friends?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Flapjacks, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Flapjacks macrumors newbie

Hello. Just wanted to vent a bit.

Has any experienced this before? Im 21 and a senior in college at the moment. 5-6 of my friends just got Halo 4 and thats ALL they want to do. They don't want to go out and grab beers. Go to the club. Go (attempt) to pick up women. All they want to do is sit home and play Halo.

Kind of stuck on what to do. I ask if they want to go out but all they do is talk to each other regarding what achievements to get, what modes to play, etc.

Is it wrong of my to say they're being extremely lame?

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

To be fair, I wouldn't want to go to the club, or go get Miller Light beers either.

You should just play with them.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why not just go out on your own and start making new friends whom share the same interests as you do? Leave them to Halo.

4. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Not wrong of you to think that at all.

I had a similar situation whilst working in Saudi Arabia. A number of my colleagues were into gambling; poker, horse racing etc. They would watch the horses on the TV all the time, have the races live streamed on the internet. When not actually watching the races they were looking at the form, discussing races and potential bets. They would try to include me my explaining things like "overound" and the various strategies they were using. All very, very boring.

My solution......hang round with them less!

5. Flapjacks thread starter macrumors newbie

Not just cheap beers. We have a couple of nice beer spots here. But its not beer but more of the fact that they just don't want to go out and do stuff.

But yeah, I do play with them. I even have the game (just bought last week). I just haven't been able to immerse myself like they do/did.

----------

Yeah thats not a bad idea. There are bound to be some people who share the same interest on campus. Its just unfortunate cause they're one of my "closer" group.

6. 184550 Guest

They sound like the kind people I'd get along with.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I understand that. You don't need to abandon these people because they play Halo - or don't want to do the other things you'd like to, but you can expand your friend base instead. Just add to it, instead of replacing friends.

8. Flapjacks thread starter macrumors newbie

Well to be fair to me, they also don't seem to want to just kick back and relax over some cold beers or go out to play some ball/frisbee. But yes, Im aware that I'm coming off as whiney. Like one of the previous posters said, this could be remedied by finding new friends. :eek:

edit:
    ADDING to my friends. Lol edited my post to take in account what sandbox said.

9. 184550 Guest

I can certainly appreciate that. I do like the beers.

10. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Well, personally, I've always found clubs to be just about the most boring thing there is out there.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Was never into that myself. Women maybe, but face it, most of those pick ups wouldn't be anything meaningful anyways.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Same. If I ever want to stand around like a moron with a drink in my hand and try to awkwardly talk to some broad when I can't even hear myself talk over the music, I'll give it a shot.

13. torana355 macrumors 68020

You need to find friends with similar interests. Im a big gamer so i tend to hang out with people that also enjoying gaming. That being said we still go out and do other stuff besides sitting at home an the Xbox all day.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The mistake you are making is one that I used to make a lot: You are trying to fit one group of people into a set of experiences they aren't interested in.

The solution to this problem is to stop trying. Instead, you need to expand your circle of acquaintances: You can still keep your HALO-playing buddies to hang around with during the week. But you also need to develop a crew that goes to clubs and smooth-talks the ladies on weekends.

From time to time you can let your "friendship circles" overlap: Thats what parties are for.

15. Flapjacks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys! I should mention though. These WERE my friends who enjoyed going to the clubs, bonding over beers, playing frisbee outside. These were the friends that enjoyed watching baseball and college basketball. Its just once they bought Halo, all of it stopped. Before, (at least 4 of them) were always down to go out and have a good time but once they started playing Halo, everything just changed.

16. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

One of the great things about college is the networking opportunities. Hang out with your gaming buds a bit but seize this as a chance to make more friends.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Boring friends?

Some nerve...being boring!

I have them killed.

Attached Files:

18. rei101 macrumors 6502a

There are friends to go to the movies, others to play video games, other for clubbing.

the ones in video gaming will suck in picking up girls, the one in clubbing will be good picking up girls but do not expect them to be very intellectual in other matters.

That is why we just have to walk in life and be happy withing ourself.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is time to start looking for some new friends.

20. Xavier macrumors 68020

If there is one thing I learned in college is that friends change. Interests change whether they are your interests or theirs.

Simple solution: make some new friends.

21. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I can relate. A few years ago, a couple of my buddies started getting heavily into fighting games. They'd play every chance they get, go to tournaments, expect others to join in, watch videos online, visit forums etc.

Mind numbing. The rest of us started going out even if they didn't want to and they eventually got the message that maybe some of us like variation.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe you are the boring friend who doesn't want to do what the rest of the group is doing. They seem to be having a good time playing Halo. Just find a new group to hang out with.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think you should punish them. The best is to smite their bawdy backsides with the flat of your sinewy right hand.

24. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Appreciate what you have. I'm in college also. And my friends all go out and get wasted every single day. I don't know how they are passing any of their classes. When it comes to "Nerdy" stuff like gaming... they are clueless.

I have nobody to play halo with :(

25. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'm with my main man Charlie Brooker on this one:

Just play Halo with your friends, see if you get into it. I'm not into gaming too much myself but if the alternative is going to a club I'd be on the Xbox 24/7 too.