What to do about cracked MBP screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Dec 13, 2007.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

My friend put his MBP on top of the tv 5' above the ground and it fell over and his screen cracked. he has apple care and is going into the store tomorrow. will they replace it under warranty?

what should he say?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nope, stupid user is not warranted.

Prepare for sticker shock and a $1k+ repair bill.

3. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Ouch. There is no way this would be covered under warranty.

Try dttservice.com, their prices seem reasonable. I've heard at least one good repair story with them, but never tried them myself.

4. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

There's nothing he can say to make the warranty cover it I'm afraid. I cannot imagine any realistic scenario where the screen cracks for no reason, so inventing a story won't fly.

He's out of luck.

5. kidzdoc macrumors newbie

Been there, done that. Wii controller + MBP screen = $1300 repair job. :eek:

6. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

haha! You're kidding right?

Apple is usually pretty good with replacing things, especially when you have the APP, but I don't think they'd cover this. I know some warranties cover everything from a manufacturers defect to the user lighting the thing on fire intentionally. I don't think the APP is like that however. GL, hope he can get it fixed.

7. chriseh macrumors newbie

8. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Wouldn't that void your apple warranty for protection against future issues?

NVM, I see that they are apple certified.

9. geissap macrumors member

Never. Apple doens't replace cracked LCD's ever under any circumstance that I've ever seen. It's a costly repair...and don't even attempt it yourself. It's one of the hardest repairs to do in my opinion. Wish I had better news for you but that's the bottom line. It's about $1200 bucks to repair that sucker.

10. iBecks macrumors 6502

That won't be covered under the Apple warranty.

Does your friend have home contents insurance with accidental damage cover?

If so, he could try claiming on that.

11. pianos101 macrumors regular

Actually for the right price apple will replace it themselves (on your own dime, of course). As for doing it yourself, it is not a difficult repair and there are very good manuals available on the web describing in detail how to do it. I've done it twice (cracked my screen too, save a LOT of money buying it and replacing it on my own).

thadoggfather: just sent you a pm...

12. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Dealing with this same issue right now on my 2.16ghz" MBP that I bought in March, 2007. The laptop was recently closed with earbuds on the keyboard and the screen's now cracked.

Check out my posts here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=389119

(I'm actually in the middle of the surgery as I post this)

13. geissap macrumors member

Hmm I disagree but sure give it a shot it will definitely save money.

I've probably replaced 15-20 Macbook Pro screens. Unless your doing the entire display assembly it's one of the hardest repairs you can do on a Macbook Pro next to the bottom case.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

There are some good step by step instructions out there. I really like ifixit.com. But the LCD replacement is no small task. It is really one of the most difficult things to do on a MBP.

15. geissap macrumors member

pianos may be talking about the display assembly. I just read rivez post about this in the other thread and he picked up a display assembly for about 360 bucks well worth it in my opinion. The display assembly is fairly easy.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I think you have 2 or 3 options..

1. Buy a used, MBP from ebay or some other auction.
    Look for a MBP with a working screen and dead logic board. Or just buy a replacement screen alone.. and find someone to help you install it.. thought there are tons of how to's online.

2. Sell your MBP as Spares or Parts, or as "working with cracked screen"

3. Pay Apple too much money for a replacement screen..

Or... maybe use the MBP as a Desktop system, plug in a external monitor?

If your in the UK.. and your home has full house content insurance, then perhaps you can make a claim?

17. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Yeah, I really wouldn't advise doing this repair on your own unless you know what you're doing. I tried to do the display swap on my own for my 15" 2.16ghz MBP, having purchased a replacement working display off of ebay. I was following the iFixit guide. However, once I got the keyboard off, I realized that the display that I bought ( a core duo display) couldn't be used with the core 2 duo that I had (The C2D has an extra airport cable and the inverter cable's a bit different). So I gave up, shot macsales an email and they said they'd repair the comp for $495 and that there was a 10% discount for students. Also, I got lucky and the person who sold me the display unit was willing to give me a refund because before I bought it, he had said he was pretty sure I could use his display with my computer.

However, when I reassembled the laptop and started it up, the little "sleep indicator" light just flashes now.

I hope the macsales people don't give me a hard time for this. Let's see what happens.

18. ctodd111 macrumors newbie

If it was purchased with a credit card...

Some credit cards might cover accidental breakage. There is a recent commercial where a girl drops her laptop on the ground, it shatters, and her credit card company tells her she's "covered". I know it sounds too good to be true, but it's worth a look...

19. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

20. geissap macrumors member

Hey Rizvi...this sounds about 80% RAM related. Pop the 4 screws and reseat your memory...make sure it's in there good in tight. Bet ya just didn't seat it well.