What to do about dead pixels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArkabaS, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Hello all,

I recently noticed 4-5 dead pixels (gray, not fixable with software) on my 1.5 year old MBP (see sig below). Definitely a bummer :( as I had to go through 2 MBPs when buying this computer just to get one without any dead pixels. I don't know why or when these pixels died. I have AppleCare and I am wondering if Apple will do anything about this. Is there a threshold for repairs (e.g., only 10+ pixels is repairable)? Has anyone ever got a repair/replacement for dead pixels? Is there anything I can myself to fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I and several others on here have gotten notebook replacements and/or screen replacements for even a single dead pixel---but never on a machine that's 1.5 years old (that I'm aware of). I'm afraid that in all likelihood, you're stuck with them at this point. Asking for a screen replacement MIGHT work for you since you have AppleCare and multiple bad pixels, but it probably depends on (a) who you speak to, and (b) where the pixels are located and how close they are to one another.

Good luck to you.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try phone support first- people seem to have better luck with them as opposed to a Genius at a store.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i have the same problem, except mines a 2.4. But the rest of my mac is cherry so i wont worry about it for now. If the dead pixel area gets about as big as my fingernail ill take it in. Then there will be no doubt that they will fix it. But for now i dont want to risk some authorized repairtard scratching the mess out of my mbp.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As others have stated call applecare first, but if they don't do anything try rubbing them. You probably wont see an improvement right away but over time it can make them disappear.

Ive had a few windows laptops and 2 monitors that all had dead pixels before and I would just keep rubbing at them every now and then and they all eventually disappeared.

I usually will do it for about a minute every few hours or when I think about it. The one that took the longest was one of my gateway monitors. it took 3 months to get the dead pixel alive again.