what to do about firewall hits

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Theoyster, May 6, 2010.

1. Theoyster macrumors member

I am running os x 10.4

What can one do about stopping or blocking firewall hits? I am getting hundreds of connection attempts everyday. Is there some program or third party firewall I can use to address this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What? The firewall bounces connection attempts, but you can't stop the attempt from happening. Maybe I'm unclear as to what you're actually asking.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some connection attempts are legitimate and desired, depending on which apps you're running. Some are unwelcome. That's why you have a firewall, to block the unwelcome attempts. If you want to stop attempts from happening at all, shut down your internet connection. Voila! No more connection attempts!

4. Theoyster thread starter macrumors member

Ok. I thought there was some way you can block connection attempts or block ip ranges from even attempting connection.

Of concern is that doing a port scan at the shields up site, all of my ports are stealthed except for 0 and 1 which are closed. Why would those two ports alone be closed and not stealthed? I have all services turnd off and the the mac firewall set to stealth mode.

Thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The GRC site always shows those ports as closed, not steathed. I suspect the site, more than your computer, is the reason for that. I wouldn't worry about it. You can never stop attempts. That's why firewalls are necessary.