Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simon-says

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
Alright I have a 40GB 4G iPod (non-color screen). I got it last December, so it's under a year old. I listen to it everyday, and love it to death. I carry it around with no case and only have one scratch on it, it's my baby. The problem is my battery. As of right now I've used it almost 3 hours and the battery icon is showing inbetween 1/4 and 1/2 of battery left. I listen to songs continously, so whole albums at a time. No pausing, volume is less than half way up, no eq, and no backlight, only use the apple headphones. The only time I touch the ipod is to put on another album when one is finished. What do you guys think my best option is for this iPod?

simon-says

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
I've thought about doing this as well. Still kinda scared to open up my $400 iPod that's under warranty. I think I can do it though. I can solder modchips to an xbox or ps2 just fine. Is replacing the battery yourself that easy? I read the manual, seems easy besides pulling up on the battery.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
simon-says said:
I've thought about doing this as well. Still kinda scared to open up my $400 iPod that's under warranty. I think I can do it though. I can solder modchips to an xbox or ps2 just fine. Is replacing the battery yourself that easy? I read the manual, seems easy besides pulling up on the battery.

If you read the manual you'll find it is quite easy - well, I guess easy is a relative term. To me it seems pretty easy.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The battery icon is notoriously flaky. While my 3G iPod was recently replaced by Apple, my old one would show under 1/2 battery life in the icon but I'd still get my 7-8 hours in total.

simon-says

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
Eh, I just called Apple to see if they could help me. They want me to pay $37 for shipping for them to look at my iPod, or for me to buy AppleCare. Also if there is no problem I will have to pay for the technicians time. I'd hate to the $37 then find out I'm just out of the line for my battery to be replaced and have to pay an extra $100. Does this sound right to you guys? This sucks, my iPod is getting ~50% battery life it should be and is under warranty for 50 more days. I guess I just might pay the $47 for AppleCare and let them do it, even though I'd really like one of those NuPower batteries for the extended life.

rdowns: I get 6 hours before the dead battery icon appears. All the paperwork I have says I should get 12 hours. And my battery icon has always been dead on, still is.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If you don't have an Apple store nearby, take it to the nearest CompUSA and see if they'll do a warranty swap or battery replacement for you.

simon-says

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
The nearest Apple Store is Houston which is around a 5 hour drive. The nearest CompUSA is 3 hours away. I don't really have the option of going there working 20 hours a week plus going to school for another 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.