what to do about my wrecked truck?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Jul 8, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, so i wrecked my truck and i have to pay for it out of pocket. i'm not sure what to do:

before the wreck, it was worth about $12,000
    it's a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (I4, 2wd, access cab, 36,500 miles)

now, so far i've gotten 1 estimate to fix it: $4300

now i don't have $4300 sitting around.

i am getting another estimate of course, but what exactly should i do?

just pay the money and fix it?

fix it and then trade it in or sell it?

trade it in like it is?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What about insurance? Have you reported it? Do you still owe on it? The last especially will determine what to do.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

no, i did not report it. it was my fault, and no one else was involved (i lost control on a dirt road)

it is paid for

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Sorry to hear about this.

If I were you I would get some more estimates, scrape up the dough, and then fix it.

The option of fixing it and selling it is ok, but buyers *might* be turned away because it was in an accident. More importantly, I assume you bought this car new, or demo so selling it now would result in a very big loss for you -$10,000+(?).

The option of trading it in as is probably is not a very good one. Trade ins always seem low balled, dealers can't move trucks right now, and in that the truck has $4300 worth of damage (which they will probably exaggerate), you know the dealer is going to give you squat for it, and therefore suffer the biggest loss. You'd probably be better off with option #2 above.

5. idyll macrumors 6502

Yeah definitely don't try to trade it in... Dealers will rip you off and exaggerate every little scratch.

Your cheapest option is to get it fixed and keep driving it.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

so if I have this straight you do not have full coverage on it.

If this is true it just because a very expensive lesson to you. also you need to true to get an estimate and the rates they charge insurance companies which is a hell of a lot less.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Depends on what is damaged, and what the local cops will let you drive without getting pulled over.

If it is mostly cosmetic, just swap parts out with junkyard parts when you have the cash.

It is a truck, I've seen people drive then with a lot of damage.

---

I'd say fix it with used parts, not worry about color and drive it until dead.

If you want to match paint, there is wet sandpaper and a can of duplicolor.

What $1000-1500 parts and rest labor and paint.

8. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Could you post pics of the damage? Is it driveable and only cosmetic, or are there some mechanical things?

If it's just cosmetic, and you or a friend are mechanically inclined, fine one that is wrecked in a different location than yours (IE if yours has front end damage, find one with rear damage) and get the body panels. It's not THAT difficult to replace body panels if you are careful about it. I would imagine that you could probably do the job yourself for about 1/3 that amount if you could find junk yard parts (check previous years also- they body panels may be the same)

9. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks.

yeah, it's looking like trading it in 'as is' isn't a good idea. i could fix it and keep it, but then i'm driving around with something i put even more money into, and that seems like a bad idea to me for some reason

right, i do not have full insurance on it.

you really think that is the cheapest option? $4300 seems like a lot to me. maybe i could fix it, then sell it for around $11000, and buy a cheaper car.

i have thought about this - buying parts from a junkyard or something. i found this website that auctions off wrecked cars. but you have to bid on the whole car though.

i can post pictures when i get them.

i actually found a website www.damagedcars.com and i applied there. as soon as i get pics of the truck, i'm sending it in and see what they say.

i think if they offer me $6000 for it, i might as well do it. don't you think?

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

here are photos of the damage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Doesn't look too bad. If there's nothing mechanical, I'd just drive it as is and save up for the repair. If you don't want to fix the cosmetics, then I say list it on Craigslist for $8000 - there are plenty of body guys who would take that in a hearbeat.

That side view makes your truck look like it's doing an Elvis impersonation.
    [​IMG]

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. the only thing really wrong is that i have to turn the steering wheel about 10 degrees to the left to drive straight.

not a bad idea about Craigslist though. i didn't think about that. thanks!

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Not good...Anything affecting alignment and/or the axle can be dangerous. And I upped it to $8K, figure you will haggle on price a little.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No they sell parts, there should be a local auto recycler near you.

For AZ, we have a main page and can drill down do a place nearby.

http://www.aara.com/find_members.htm

Even the dealer should have an unpainted fender in primer for 250, and a new hood for about 340.

Might get lucky and find a used black of each.

If they don't have them in the local database they can order a part also.

Heck if you have a friend who can paint you can probably get a hood, fender, and flare all painted for not too much. Though if you want color sanding and a mirror finish, it might cost a bit more.

---

As far as the alignment, you can take that to a shop to have them fix that all on its lonesome also. Probably have some good Toyota or truck repair shops around.

Though if you were nitpicky pulling the front off to fix the light can alignment would probably be a PIA.

15. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, it's not good. i tried to get another estimate, but this guy said that the frame was bent, and he didn't have a frame puller, so he couldn't give an estimate. the other guy said it was the 'knee' (part the attaches to the frame) so know i don't know which is right.

thanks. i'll try to look for something near me. if i could do this and just keep it, then i wouldn't even worry about painting it, just drive it with a silver hood or whatever. i could always paint it later, when i had the money

16. gonyr macrumors 6502

I definitely agree with the previous posters. Fix the mechanicals, and ignore the cosmetics. Most of your repair estimate is probably in body work anyway. Then, either keep it and use it, or sell it on craigslist.

17. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

It's worthwhile to fix it due to the car's value.

Driving it in that state, with the steering issue, may just make it worse.

Get it fixed ASAP and choose a good, reputable garage to do it - not the cheapest. A cheap fix could come back to bite you in the ass later on.

Will your insurance not cover it at all? I mean, that's what I have insurance for! :eek:

18. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. i went ahead and posted it on craigslist, just to see if i hear anything. if not, then i guess i'll have to at least fix the frame

thanks. yeah, driving it like that might make it worse.

i have insurance, but it only covers if it's not my fault

19. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Aye. Bugger.

:(

Good luck with your chosen route. ;)

20. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks.

well, here's more to think about:

damagedcars.com has offered me $6000 for it 'as is'. what do you think? it seems like it would be easier to go this route, but it's at the border of how much money i'd take for it.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

So your choice is lose $6k, aka and roll that loss into paying for another car.

Or take the truck to a full service front end shop or a truck shop to see what can be done on it.

---

If the lower control arm is bent replace it, then align it.

If a mounting bracket is bent badly I'm sure a suspension place could have it cut off and replaced.

Fixing the passenger's side corner wheel will probably be a lot less expensive that selling it and buying another vehicle.

If nothing is wrong besides the control arm, $100 arm + misc parts + labor and an alignment might be a easier pill to swallow than paying somebody $6k to get rid of the problem (aka, grab ankles and take the loss.)

---

Edit: and I've noticed on cars sent to unibody shops with frames, every frame vehicle almost always includes a bit of labor for frame repair which is hardly ever done. Someone backs into you and bends the rear bumper, cracks a tail light and dents the rear. You'll likely find an hour of "frame repair" on the invoice.

We had a car where the wheel fell off and caused that much damage, and the body shop next to the tow yard wanted $1500 for a driveable repair which included new suspension and an axle and zero body work ... we took it to a trusted mechanic and they replaced lug nuts, reassembled axle, installed a new rubber boot and lube for under $200.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I say don't sell it. You'll definitely lose money that route and might end up worse off than you are now if you are unhappy with your replacement vehicle.

It sounds like you hit pretty hard though. First thing - DON'T KEEP DRIVING IT. The safety of the vehicle (and it's handling) have been compromised by the wreck so another mishap could be very dangerous. Drive it only as needed to get it to the mechanics.

Here's what I would do:

Do some research and find a decent mechanic who can handle whatever repairs might be necessary in-house, and get a detailed estimate of exactly what needs to be fixed and a quote with potential costs.

Once you get a good quote, look at the cost of the necessary mechanical repairs - ignore the cosmetic bodywork for the moment. I'll bet at least $1500-$2000 of that $4300 you were quoted is for bodywork, especially painting. Get the mechanical repairs taken care of, make sure the headlight is re-aimed properly, and then save up for the bodywork.

Toyota trucks are good long-term investments, and I think it would be worth your while to fix the truck, even if you couldn't afford all of the repairs at once. It might look ugly, but if you get the mechanicals taken care of it should drive fine till you have money for the bodywork.

23. Keebler macrumors 68030

ugh. first, as a fellow Tacoma driver (08 4x4 d-cab), i feel for you!

but you should try to get it fixed. get a few more quotes. see what NEEDs to be done and what can be done without repairs for a bit. might help break down the cost for you.

trading it in will hurt. I know when I traded in my van, the 1st question they asked (and only one they really cared about) was if it had been in an accident.

that truck will go forever if you get it fixed..it's a toyota!

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

like others have said get it fixed. Also GET FULL COVERAGE. It is well worth it when things like this happen. It keeps you from getting screwed when something is your fault.

25. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the replies. i've gotten several emails from my craigslist posting.

i still haven't decided what to do though.