What to do after installing a new internal HD in my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sdao, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Sdao macrumors 6502

So far, I've got all the steps on how to install the hardware for my new WD Scorpio 320gb 5400rpm HD. However, how do i ensure the drive is working properly/connected properly/formatted properly? Also, obviously none of the Leopard OS files will be on the brand new drive, how do I reformat it?

I'm basically asking, what do I do after putting the new HD in my computer?

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

After installing the new HDD, boot up from your leopard DVD and then run disc utility. Then choose format. After its formated, just install leopard.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Put your Leopard or restore disk in the optical drive, start the machine while holding down the "C" key, and it should boot from the CD. From there you can do a clean install. Use Disk Utility from the "Go" menu and partition the drive first, then run the installer for Leopard.

MacDann

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Pop in your Mac OS X installer disk and reboot. You'll be able to run Disk Utility to format the drive.

Edit: looks like several of us gave a variation of the answer simultaneously

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Do you happen to have an external case that you could put the drive in or is it a WD Scorpio from a Passport drive?

Easier that way, you can mount it, format it and then clone it.

6. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for all the replies.

I'm currently using Carbon Copy Cloner to 'clone' my hard drive onto my external hard drive.

Once I have the clone finished and on my external hard drive and I've installed my new internal hard drive, what do I do with the cloned files?

I want to make sure my new hard drive has all of my old files, does carbon copy cloner have some way of copying the clone to my new hard drive?

7. secretpact macrumors 6502

I used a program called super duper to clone my drive. Google it. The free version is good enough IMO, I didn't need the paid features.

8. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

What do I do after cloning?

9. macgalMB macrumors newbie

I just did this tonight...

Here's what I did.

What you will need:
    Torx 8 screwdriver (get it at hardware store)
    Small phillips screwdriver
    External 2.5" SATA hard drive enclosure (had to get this at a little computer shop. Tried Best Buy, but they didn't have it)
    Your new hard drive

Steps:

1. Download a clone software, I used Carbon Copy Cloner.
    2. Install your NEW HD into the enclosure and connect (USB or FW) to your computer.
    3. Run Carbob Copy Cloner and clone your entire HD. Mine was 80gb took about 3 hours with USB 2.0
    4. After the clone is finished. Restart your computer with the external still connected and hold down the option key when it starts back up.
    You will get a choice of which HD to boot from. Boot from your new external clone. This will be very slow, but it will give you piece of mind cause you will see that your new drive has everything on it that your old drive did.
    5. Once you see your drive is working with all your data on it all you need to do now is open up the cases and swap the drives. Your computer will then boot up from your new HD.

Was much easier than I expected it to be. I now have more than 200 GB of free space!!!! I was down to 2 GB before I upgraded tonight. So happy!

10. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Install the new hard drive and turn it on, done!

Edit: it's a Torx t-6 you'll need, t-8 is too big.

11. macgalMB macrumors newbie

Torx 8 for the MB

The Torx 8 is what is needed for a MacBook.
    Maybe the MacBook Pro needs a T-6

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

MacBook Pro requires a T-6. I've done this twice now: OEM 160 -> 7K200 -> Sc320

13. Sdao thread starter macrumors 6502

Does carbon copy cloner partition my drive and format it properly as well? I think some people were saying that upon installing a new HD in your MBP you have to run disk utility to format and partition it.

So, does carbon copy cloner do all of this as well? As far as I can see, it just copies the contents and structure of a hard drive to a new hard drive, but does it ensure my new hard drive is partitioned/formatted properly?

14. smes3817 macrumors newbie

Seconded. This is what I would like to know before I attempt to make a switch today. Some people say to format it before using Disk Utility and others don't mention it at all.

15. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I'm not sure it if matters to partition and format before using CCC or SD, but I would personally just to have that peace of mind.

16. smes3817 macrumors newbie

What are the specifics that I should format it to. 1 partition if I don't use Windows or Bootcamp or any of that? hfs+ and GUID (whatever those are haha)? Is that all I need to know about formatting? I've never done it before, so thanks!

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

To all above yes you need to format the external before you clone over, go to disk utilitys format it hfs+ clone over os x try booting from it,if ok swap drives,then your'll be able to partition for bootcamp

18. clindner macrumors regular

If you are using Time Machine to do a complete backup of your hard drive, you can do a total restore of the backup to the new disk via the Leopard Install menu.

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Can you boot of it this way though must be able i suppose,me ive always just used ccc

20. clindner macrumors regular

Yes. I booted off of it when it was connected externally, then I put it in the Macbook itself, and I am using it just fine.