What to do after jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by senorchang, Aug 2, 2010.

1. senorchang macrumors newbie

What apps are recommended to download after you jailbreak? I installed sbsettings and winterboard but what else is there to do on it? Besides free apps of course. Thanks in advance.

2. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

First thing I did was have weather on menu at top...handy.

3. asharer macrumors newbie

after

get any movie/music files from any sites
    use any the third party apps
    and put files onto your multimedia equipments
    of cource, only for Personal use

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

En Googlis no est, ergo no est.

Anyways, Proswitcher, MakeItMine, Winterboard, and SBSettings are what I like. I don't do that much with Jailbreak, I just got it to have multitasking, and am keeping it for that, as the interface on Proswitcher under 3.1.3 is much better than 4.x with Apple's system. I set it up to have date and time up top, and % battery. The signal strength in DBi never did much for me though... it doesn't mean that much as compared to just bars...

5. CortoMaltese macrumors newbie

My probably dumb question: once it is jailbroken, can I still buy items on the App store? Can these coexist peacefully with jailbroken apps?

Currently I have 2 reasons for me to jailbreak:
    - access to a multi-format media player like VLC
    - (if it can be found) the portable version of Delicious Library which was pulled from the App store (because it infringed on some Amazon rights, unfortunately) before I had it on my iPod Touch.

Otherwise the device seems pretty ok as it is. Perhaps I am not aware of real killer apps in the jailbroken community?

6. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yes, you can still buy regular apps. The only big downside for app management is that if you have to restore, you not only have to go to the newest version, and then use the Jailbreak for that version, or be stuck without a jailbreak until one comes out for the newer version, but you lose all your apps, settings, and screen arrangement since some apps are no longer there.

For me it's not an issue, as my new policy is no restores for anything, and I'm staying on 3.1.3 until someone prys it from my cold, dead hands.

Supposedly there are ways to get around both of those problems if you proactively do some stuff, but its definitely another step, and I haven't looked too much into it.

7. CortoMaltese macrumors newbie

Thanks for your informative reply.
    I think that for me jailbreaking will then be more effort than what it's worth for me.

I have a 64GB current version ipod touch, meaning it should run OS4 well as it has the quicker chipset (if I understood well); and I will upgrade it as soon as my Mac is repaired. I prefer to stick with Apple's implementation of multitasking.
    I can always use an utility to convert a movie to mp4, for the few times that I do that.
    This unfortunately still leaves the Delicious Library app unavailable.
    I'm not interested in terminal programs, ftp servers, dynamic backgrounds etc

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Obviously, you’re not aware. MyWi, PdaNet, SBSettings, Winterboard, the list goes on. Some were great until iOS 4 came out (kirikae, Categories (even though Categories is much better than Apple’s folders, etc.).

9. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It seriously takes no effort. You download the jailbreak, and it takes about a minute to do. Actually doing stuff with Jailbroken apps takes more time, and there is a learning curve.

If you're going to jailbreak, I'd stay with 3.1.3, since the future of the 4 jailbreak is in question. 3.1.3 is pretty good, and the lack of multitasking is quickly fixed by real multitasking through Proswitcher, not the fake multitasking the iOS 4 offers.

If not, go for iOS 4, since it offers some multitasking capability, threaded email, and a bunch of other stuff.

If all you are going to do is add the Delicious Library app, jailbreaking would be very quick and easy. It took me quite a while longer since I did some fairly significant customization to the UI- I wanted to get it to the point where an average iOS user would see the device, and it would be obvious that it's not in it's stock state. Plus, I like the WebOS-like multitasking, its really, really cool.

I agree about terminal apps and other stuff, that's what the full Mac is for. UI customization is fun though, as you can make it look the way you want it to, unlike in it's stock state, where Steve's taste will be your taste.

10. CortoMaltese macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your informative replies.

I looked up some of the apps that were mentioned:

MyWi, PdaNet : I have an iPod Touch so tethering isn't important for me; otherwise it could indeed be useful.
    Winterboard : I'm not interested in themes, quite happy with the standard look; customisation is not important for me.
    Makeitmine: don't have an iphone, and even so, wouldn't interest me.
    Proswitcher, Categories: I prefer to use the standard OS4 features
    SBSettings : mmmh yes maybe, a few good features but not really a must for me.

So that still only leaves the one previously pulled app DeliciousLibrary that I really would like to use.
    Well, I will definitely first upgrade to os4, it is interesting enough, and later possibly give the jailbreak a go.

11. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Either SBSettings or Winterboard can hide the default Apple aplications- I't worth it just for that... no more annoying stocks, contacts, or voice memos, or any of the other useless junk they pre-load.