What to do after replacing MacBook's hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrat93, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

My brother's MacBook's hard drive just died. He has a backup of all of his data. If I were to buy this, what do I do after installing the hard drive? We have the Leopard disks and everything.

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Boot the Leopard DVD, run Disk Utility from Utilities on the menu bar, partition the drive and go ahead and install. I'd recommend then running the combo updater for 10.5.6 from the Apple website and then running the rest of the software updates. That's it.

3. P Mentior macrumors regular

Logically i would assume that the next step would be to install OS X on it. If what you are asking is how to get the data back from the backup then it would help to know what kind of backup is it (Time Machine, superduper, any other software)?

4. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

It's a Time Machine backup.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

While installing OS X on the new drive (not after), select Restore from Time Machine Backup. Make sure your backup HDD is connected to your Mac and just wait around till it copies everything. THEN run the updater and download all the updates and install. Then enjoy your new HDD!

6. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I've wondered about the best method of transferring stuff from the old drive. You could do Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner, but if there are problems with the structure of the old drive, do those then migrate to the new one? My hard drive has been flakey (white macbook) for awhile - I've been advised to archive & install - this fixes the problem for a while, then a recurrence of the same issues - frequent hangs, console messages, weird errors.

I'm wondering if it's better to start from scratch - re-install the OS that came with the system, let the updates run, re-install applications, and then copy over Home. I imagine you'd lose your settings, web preferences, etc. but those aren't a huge deal to me.

Dave