what to do before i sell...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kgiglio2, Jun 1, 2007.

1. kgiglio2 Guest

I'm selling my iBook, and after I transfer the files I need to my soon to be new MBP, what can I do to erase all of my personal information that is on my computer. What is everything I should do before my computer changes hands?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Make sure that you clean it, get an iKlear and clean the screen, topcasing, the top of the screen, the bottom of the computer and don't forget the keyboard. As for erasing the data, you insert the restore disks that came with your iBook and do an erase and install, once that's done your data is gone from the computer. Make sure that you include everything that came with the computer. That's all I can think of, and that's what I did when I sold my iBook G4.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

If you're paranoid, open "Disk Utility" after booting from your restore disks to reformat your drive. Select the "zero data" option. It'll take longer to erase, but it'll ensure your data isn't recoverable. You could even select the "35-pass" if you're afraid the CIA is going to mine your drive or something.

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Know that that will takes days or even weeks. Heck, if its a big drive it may even take months!