What to do before switching to new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shevi, Aug 4, 2008.

1. shevi macrumors newbie

Some background: I got my 3G last Thursday, and on Friday afternoon (after it worked fine for almost 24 hours), it starting telling me "SIM Card Not Installed." I drove straight to the Apple store, where they told me there were no more genius appointments available until Sunday (and that there were already 8 people on standby for appointments, so it wasn't worth my waiting). I used one of the display macs there and googled the error and discovered that some sim cards were loose. I followed the instructions to shake the iPhone and reset my network settings, and that worked for about 2 hours. So I spent the weekend shaking & resetting the settings until my 12PM appointment Sunday. I also had major battery issues (getting 20% battery warnings 2 hours after a full charge). So during my appointment, they ran a diagnostic test and discovered that my battery has issues, and also that the sim card slot is too big, causing the sim card to slide around and out of place. They notated my account that I will get a replacement, but they had no 16 gig models in stock. So I'm supposed to come back tomorrow (Tuesday) to get my replacement.

I've downloaded a lot of apps and pictures, and I don't want to lose everything. If I sync my iPhone tonight, and then I sync the new one after I get it tomorrow, will everything just transfer? Do I have to do anything special with either the current or new one so that I'll have everything?

Thank you!

2. atluten macrumors 6502

Just sync your phone before you have it replaced. iTunes will make a backup of it. When you plug your new phone in, iTunes will ask you whether or not you want to restore it from a backup. Just choose the most recent one and you're good to go. Cheers.

3. polisciguy12 macrumors newbie

As long as you sync as close as possible before getting the new iphone everything will be there.

When syncing your new phone for the first time it will give you the option to restore from the back up of the old one (the other option being "set up as a new iphone)

Good luck with the new one!

4. shevi thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1 - Right-click the phone icon in iTunes and select "Transfer Purchases." It often happens automatically, but this will force apps you downloaded on the phone to copy back over to iTunes.

2 - Open iPhoto and download all photos you took using the camera or downloaded from the web. Anything else on the phone was put there by iPhoto and it will still be on your computer. The pictures you took with the PHONE, however, may not be backed up anywhere.

These are two "should be alright" kind of things, but I'd double-check them anyway, just to be safe.

But then, yes, when you get the new phone, just restore from the backup. Likely you want need either of the two things I just listed, but I think it's worth the time it takes to do them.