Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kahornshoej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Hello guys and girls may you can help me out.

Rigt now I have a 21" late 2013 256gb ssd 16gb i7. Still running smooth.

I have been waiting and saving for an iMac upgrade. Now the 2019 upgrade is finally is here im thinking about ordering the following:

27" i5 9. generation
8 Gb ram
580x
512 gb ssd.

Price in Denmark: 3060 usd at educationstore. Im a teacher.

Well, for me its a lot of money and the specs are probably overkill. But I want my purchase to last many years. 5-10 years.

And that's where my concern comes in. Im thinking; what if the redesign comes at the next update? Will I have buyers remorse? I know it's a difficult question to answer. But what would you do in my situation?

Im really debating what to do. I just love new tech and I have been waiting so long and my wife has given me the go ahead. My old iMac is running fine for my needs, but man I would love that 27" screen.
I can probably sell my current iMac for 680usd.

Reactions: WrightBrain

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
don't buy. there will be a substantial refresh/redesign in September.

I think thats completely wrong.

They are clearly on a 2-year update schedule.
But obviously if he can wait until september and find out you’re wrong he can always buy the current model at that point.

kahornshoej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
We really can’t help you. You don’t have a computer problem.

You're right. It's in my mind. I think i´ll just pull the trigger on that config. I love the current design. Theres 99% chance the next will be even better, but who knows what and when but Cook.
Besides I look at the iMac as a piece of design furniture.
[doublepost=1553295068][/doublepost]
I think thats completely wrong.

They are clearly on a 2-year update schedule.
But obviously if he can wait until september and find out you’re wrong he can always buy the current model at that point.

I think so too. The iMac Pro will properly dictate what the iMac get as upgrades.

Besides I have been looking at he Macbook Pro prices and the iMac seems like a bargain in comparison.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
September seems rather soon for a refresh, let alone a redesign, no? What makes you think this?

He probably thought about Navi gpu and maybe the next intel cpus. I expect the same like macbook pro's Vega gpu update but can't be sure after I saw how lazy Apple is.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If the current machine is running smoothly, why buy a new one?

The iMac line is rather dated, so why not wait until it gets more than minor tweaks. Stuff like the T2 chip, all SSD, thinner bezel, HDR, faster refresh on the monitor, etc etc.

Reactions: jeremiah256

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
If the current machine is running smoothly, why buy a new one?

The iMac line is rather dated, so why not wait until it gets more than minor tweaks. Stuff like the T2 chip, all SSD, thinner bezel, HDR, faster refresh on the monitor, etc etc.

OP would be going from 21.5” 1080p monitor to a 27” 5K monitor. That is a pretty massive improvement, and much more important than things like HDR or T2.

candyman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
So, I bought a “new” 27” iMac (3.8 i5) two days before they announced the update as the HD in my 27” 2013 model decided to take a dirt nap and I needed an immediate replacement (it is my freelance work machine).

So for almost the past week I have been using it and the screen is absolutely fantastic. The 5k is so much crisper and sharp and colors are awesome. Had already purchased extra ram so I am running 40GB in it and it flies on many heavy duty tasks in Photoshop.

You will not be disappointed in taking the plunge to a new iMac. Sure, you could hold out for another redesign model, but why not live for today and enjoy a great machine now?

That “new” 2017 iMac I just bought 5 days ago is going back to Apple this weekend so I can trade up for the actual new 2019 model, and on this one, I’m opting for the 1GB SSD, as well as sending back and swapping out for the newer speed ram to get this machine to 40GB as well.

Reactions: orbital~debris

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I can tell you only why I am not buying right now and that is the looming idea that Apple may switch 2020 to its own designed ARM based CPUs for the Mac. I don‘t think they use the A series but rather design a specific CPU for Macs. If that happens the support for the machine 5-10 years) won‘t happen because next iterations of MacOS will most probably not support Intel based Macs.

So I personally wait and see until all new products and more clarity around the switch are there. E.g. I also want to know more about the promised modular Mac Pro which might be very interesting if the entry level version is not already priced sky high.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I can tell you only why I am not buying right now and that is the looming idea that Apple may switch 2020 to its own designed ARM based CPUs for the Mac. I don‘t think they use the A series but rather design a specific CPU for Macs. If that happens the support for the machine 5-10 years) won‘t happen because next iterations of MacOS will most probably not support Intel based Macs.

So I personally wait and see until all new products and more clarity around the switch are there. E.g. I also want to know more about the promised modular Mac Pro which might be very interesting if the entry level version is not already priced sky high.
I am starting to think the same. I have a 2015 iMac that runs great. I did/do want to upgrade NOW, but with the arm rumors and the new Mac Pro coming I too may wait. I am holding off my final decision until I see so info from fixit and barefeets.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018

Its funny, the looming switch to apples arm chips is exactly the reason I WILL be buying one of these.
If you’re right, these are among the last great intel macs and I’m not interested in being part of the likely sluggish, incompatability-prone transition.
I have a wealth of macos intel software that works just great.
No interest in waiting 2-3 years before I can get my workflow even vaguely back to where it is now.

Last edited:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Its funny, the looming switch to apples arm chips is exactly the reason I WILL be buying one of these.
If you’re right, these are the last great intel macs and I’m not interested in being part of the likely sluggish, incompatability-prone transition.
No interest in waiting 2-3 years before I can get my workflow even vaguely back to where it is now.

Also a good aspect. My worries are around Aperture which I have to say goodbye in case of ARM.

Reactions: zooland

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I doubt that were going to see any more "redesigns" or new releases of the iMac this year.
Next year, there's a good chance of that.
But NOT this year.
The iMac apple has already dropped on us for this season...

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015

Even if they switched to ARM tomorrow, they would likely support Intel machines for at least the next 6-8 years.

No way are they going to screw over people who bought their computers in 2019.
[doublepost=1553468041][/doublepost]
I doubt that were going to see any more "redesigns" or new releases of the iMac this year.
Next year, there's a good chance of that.
But NOT this year.
The iMac apple has already dropped on us for this season...

It seems they are on a *minimum* 2-year update cycle for desktops now. Moore's law hit a brick wall about 6 years ago and there just isn't enough reason for yearly updates any longer. I highly doubt you see anything new for the iMac (even a spec bump) until 2021.
[doublepost=1553468253][/doublepost]
If you’re right, these are the last great intel macs and I’m not interested in being part of the likely sluggish, incompatability-prone transition.

Exactly. And full Windows 10 compatibility.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

If you don’t need a computer this year,, next year or even the one after, that’s a good approach. Personally, I’m not expecting any kind of ARM based Mac before 2021 and it’s going to be longer for the serious working stations

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Well, for me its a lot of money and the specs are probably overkill. But I want my purchase to last many years. 5-10 years.

Why not not upgrade the specs so much and save the money for a future iMac you would get in 5 years? I have the base 2010 27" iMac (no upgraded specs) and it's still decently usable 9 years later. As you start to reach the top end of performance, you get less performance per dollar. You will be spending more money for a much smaller performance increase. If you just spend less on upgraded specs now and buy a new iMac (after you buy a new one now) sooner than you're currently planning, you'll get a better value.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I think I will upgrade but I am waiting for some reviews and benchmarks so I can decide which options to get.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I think I will upgrade but I am waiting for some reviews and benchmarks so I can decide which options to get.

Keep in mind when the geekbench scores come out that they’ll be skewed by the turbo boost numbers of each machine.
So for instance, if you have a 3.0ghz processor that turbo boosts to 4.3ghz and then a 3.7ghz processor that turboost to 4.5ghz, the geekbench scores are going to look very close.
But for sustained peak use (like encoding or converting a big video file, the 3.7ghz machine will outperform the 3.0 machine a measure more than what the geekbench scores would suggest.

Last edited:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Even if they switched to ARM tomorrow, they would likely support Intel machines for at least the next 6-8 years.

No way are they going to screw over people who bought their computers in 2019.
[doublepost=1553468041][/doublepost]

Well I do remember the last time Apple changed CPUs when I had just bought my iMac G5 and I think after one OS update it was Intel only (if I remember correctly) . Back then I updated my computer a lot more frequently and it wasn‘t such an issue. For sure they didn‘t support PowerPC for 6-8 years.

It may be different this time in case they keep Intel Macs around, but I kind of doubt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.