What to do first?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mfaye21, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mfaye21 macrumors regular

Hi,
    First of all im not sure if this is the right section for this so feel free to move it. I am getting a new mbp soon when announce the new ones. This will be my first mac. I have read many guides on what to do when you first get your mac setup but I want your opinions. Whats the first things you should do with your new mac (besides software update because I already know that)?:apple::)

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

turn it on. Mess around with it to get familiar with it.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

you could also do a search on these forums. There is a thread on this subject everyday.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Honestly, getting familiar with it is the best advice. There's really not much you need to do. You don't need anti-virus software. You can have a firewall if you want/need one. You don't really need to partition the drive.

If you get it at an Apple Store, they set it up for you. You provide required information, such as your User Name and Password. You'll have to do that yourself if you ordered it to be delivered to you. Make sure you set up a User Account with Admin privileges. Apple did this for me, so I don't know the steps!

I like old fashioned printed manuals. If you're totally new to the Mac OS, I suggest the Mac OS your version for Dummies tome. If you want more technical stuff, go for the Missing Manual for your OS version.

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I suggest you familiarize your self with the Mac, first. Also, I'd make sure to transfer all of your previous information to your new Mac.

Best of luck,

Habitus :apple:

6. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much

7. razorboy1969 macrumors newbie

razorboy1969

Don't forget to perform battery calibration.

"The battery has an internal microprocessor that provides an estimate of the amount of energy in the battery as it charges and discharges. The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate and to keep the battery operating at maximum efficiency. You should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months after that. If you normally leave your Apple portable computer connected to AC power and very rarely use it on battery power you may want to perform this process once a month. The website www.apple.com/batteries has more helpful information regarding batteries and offers an iCal calendar to remind you to calibrate your battery."

Good luck!