What to do for Black Friday

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Nov 29, 2013.

1. boombox15, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

boombox15 macrumors regular

So Apple doesn't seem to have any deals for Black Friday. :( I am really confused about the gift card thing that they are doing, and I don't get it. I want to buy multiple things, and so I am trying to decide who to buy from.

For example, if I buy a BTO iMac from Apple, when would I get the gift card? could I use it to buy a MacBook Air? but how long would it take for me to get it?

Same goes for the iPad, if I buy the iPad Air, could I use the gift card to buy the case right away?

Or, should I do all shopping at Best Buy?

Please respond soon as Black Friday will be over soon.

2. Wediafom macrumors member

Hi,
    If you're buying in person, I would just tell the cashier what you want to do. Or you could just buy the iMac first. Finish the transaction and before you leave the store, come back and buy the Air with the gift card you got from the iMac. For the iPad, I am sure they will let you buy the case with the gift card.
    Good luck

3. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should mention that if I buy from Apple, it would be online. So then when would I get the gift card? Read what I said earlier for more details.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You wouldn't get the gift card until the Mac ships.

5. c1phr macrumors 6502

I just ordered an Airport Express, and the order confirmation said that I will receive my gift card via email after my item ships. It said that if I chose to get my item with in-store pickup, then the gift card was going to be emailed to me after confirmation that the item was picked up. Therefore, you would be able to get the iPad and then order the case after it ships (read: you'll have to wait until Monday). This means that the iMac/MBA might not be doable, you could get the gift card from one to use on the other, but you wouldn't be able to order today.

6. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

This should not be much of a surprise. Apple seldom has "deals" at any time. The drippings you can receive on Black Friday usually aren't much of an exception.

Still confused?

7. boombox15, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I would rather have Apple's 6-8% discounts than this. Better than nothing. I think I will pass on Black Friday, may wait a week or two to buy my things.

However, I could go ahead and buy an Airport Extreme and iPad Air and get $125 to use towards the MacBook Air and iMac......... But, the iPad Air Gift Card might take a while since it ships in 5-7 days, right?

8. Ai-apple macrumors regular

You get your Gift Card when the item is shipped. I ordered rMBP today. It will be ready to ship in 1-2 weeks so it's working out for me. I was going to wait for a week or two to buy rMBP. Free Gift Card is better than nothing.

9. verseafterverse macrumors member

I would have done the same but i can't wait 1-2 weeks for something to just ship.

10. koban4max macrumors 68000

The thing about Apple is that they don't have to give anything and you'll STILL buy from them....consider it "lucky" that you're getting a gift card.

11. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Ended up ordering a 32GB iPad Air (Hope it is the right size for me) and a Airport Extreme. Got $125 in gift cards, so I can use that when I buy the 2 macs!! Hopefully I can have the gift cards sooner rather than later!

At some point, I will buy a 21.5 inch iMac with a 256GB SSD, and a 13 inch MacBook Air with 8GB of memory. Was going to buy iMac tonight, but figured I could use the card to get a discount on it. Does that sound like the right thing to do?

12. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

The $150 gift card was enough of an incentive for me towards purchasing my rMBP. Used it on the spot for the Applecare.

13. c1phr macrumors 6502

I'm pretty much doing something similar. I ordered my AirPort yesterday afternoon, and I got my gift card this morning. I'm planning on saving that to put towards my rMBP that I'm going to buy in ~3 weeks when I come home for Christmas, since my edu discount is better than the $150 gift card would have been anyway.