What to do if the computer locks up - new 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Motogoshi, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Motogoshi macrumors newbie

I'm curious on what the procedure would be in the situation where the computer locks up and you can't do anything. The power button doesn't turn it off and the only thing you can do is unplug from the AC and disconnect the battery.

But since the battery is non-removable, are we going to have to wait the eight hours for the battery to run down, take apart the computer to disconnect the battery or has Apple done something to allow you to easily disable the battery for when this situation occurs?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh, why not just hold the power button for ten seconds and force it to shut down?

3. Motogoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

Because there are times that has not worked for me and the only thing I can do is disconnect all the power.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not worked? That's a hard-wired command.

6. Motogoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

It's happened twice on me where I have gone to shutdown the computer and it sits and waits at the Leopard shutdown screen, probably because of a program eating up the processor or something. (Which is weird because before I shutdown I close all programs, so it would have to be a background process I guess).

I held the power button down way longer that 10 seconds and nothing. When that happens I disconnect the AC adapter and the battery to get if to shut off.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Hate to say, but sometimes it doesn't work.

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

Same, I too have had this issue where it did not work.

9. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

It's happened to me too.

Are there any macbook air users that can offer input?

10. Motogoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

I never gave a thought to the Macbook Air, so I went to Apples forums to see anything and found what I was afraid happening.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8380502?

At least it gives a work around if you are still able to get to apps. But I guess if you are at the shutdown screen you will just have to wait up to 8 hours for the battery to drain.

But the new 17" MBP has the Battery Management Unit and System Management Controller which I believe is new or what they have done with it is new (Adaptive Charging). So maybe this system will be smart enough to disconnect the power from the battery to the computer during the shutdown process