What to do if your car breaks down?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Nov 30, 2010.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Now that my cars are out of warranty, I'm a little concerned about a breakdown. I figure I could just call up a tow company if I'm disabled, but who? Will 911 call a tow truck for me or will I have to search on my own?

Has anyone called AAA for road service and how was the experience? Would it be better to just pay out of pocket when needed?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is disturbing that you're behind a wheel and believe calling 911 will get you a tow truck. God help us all.

Been with AAA for years and they'll provide services such as tow, lock out assistance, tire change, and a gallon of gas should you run out. your insurance company may provide these services with your policy, ask mom and dad. Whether you have a warranty or not, you will always need someone to tow. It is the repair that the warranty covers, not getting your broke ass car to the shop.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 with Jessica on this ... how could you be driving and not know what 911 is for ... forgive me if you meant 411 :cool:

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

911 is for emergencies.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why the worry now? Just because your is on warranty, doesn't mean it won't breakdown. And just because your car is out of warranty, it'll breakdown.

911 is for emergencies only, car breaking down is not an emergency unless you are in danger.

7. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

All of my AAA experience have been pretty good. You call and explain your problem and they will send someone out that usually comes within a hour. I don't use the service very often at all but every time I have they have helped big time. It is nice to have that kind of insurance.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

saw that ... thought it was just a coincidence :cool:

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

let see my car is over 6 years old. has 77k miles on it and the only times it has left me in trouble was because I left the head lights on. I have been jump started multiple times.

Other than that I have had a sensor go bad on it but I could drive the car until I got it into the shop but still was able to use the car for a week.

Most of the time you know if something is going out on a car and if it will leave you stranded. If nothing is coming up that causing it STOP FREAKING OUT.

My dads car has 180k miles on it over 11 years old and in that entire time he only had any real trouble once and he was able to limp his car close enough to home that we just towed it back with the truck. The hydrolysis on his clutch gave out but he was able to drive it pretty close to home and the only reason we towed it from there was because it was better than putting more wear on the tranny and we could easily do it.

On my old car and my dads current car (different cars) we both had our clutchs wear out but we had plenty of warning before they completely failed and was able to address them.

Most major problem you have some warning on and can adjust to it before you get stranded.

10. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Being stranded, possibly in a dangerous area or highway position doesn't strike you as an emergency? Isn't the service called "emergency roadside assistance"?

Also, there is usually free towing coverage under the new car warranty, which I was referring to. We're so reactionary tonight!

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

again depends on the manufacture. I was never provided one and generally the free towing only last 3 years.

And no being stranded on the highway is not considered an emergency. If you get stranded on the highway it is your own fault. You should be able to coast the car off the road. In a dangerous area. Not an emergency. A dangerous event have to happen.

Now you can call the non emergency police number and generally they can help you out in getting towed but the bill is going to be sent to you.

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

No that's not an emergency. Just dial 411 for a tow truck.

I wouldn't really bother with AAA, cuz as was said, 8/10 times you know when something is going out and you can limp it to the shop; it's just the occasional freak ignition switch or something that can die without warning leaving you stranded, but most of the time you'll have warning. I'd rather just pay the $150 once in a blue moon for a tow than pay to maintain a membership with AAA. That said, AAA is good service.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you are in an accident and you call 911 the police will usually call a tow, you might still have to pay for it though. If you are not in an accident don't call 911 or the only thing being towed is your butt to jail. Get AAA, it is well worth it.

14. bad angel macrumors member

bad angel

As others have said, 911 is NOT "emergency roadside assistance". It is for true emergencies when someone needs immediate assistance due to injury or if a crime is being witnessed (e.g., a house on fire, a car accident where someone needs medical assistance, etc.). 911 rings the police, who will coordinate the local fire department and/or an ambulance as needed. It is not a convenience service that will call a tow truck for you. How on god's green earth can you not know this? :rolleyes:

AAA works well. It is not very expensive, relatively speaking, and while they can be slow to respond in remote areas at times, they'll eventually get there and give you a tow or jump start. I believe they even bring you a couple of gallons of gas if you've simply run out of fuel, though I haven't looked at the service agreement in a while to see if this is still true.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Actually if you are stuck on the highway they encourage you to call 911. They will provide blocking for you, they would rather you stay in the car and wait for police then to get out of the car and get hit. Just don't use 911 for routine brake downs.

16. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Is it being suggested that if there is a traffic accident without injuries, and you want a police report, you cannot call 911 for assistance?

17. Rodimus Prime, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

true but that is in stop and go traffic. If your car stales out at speed you should have plenty of time and speed to get the car off the road so to speak.

technically speaking that is correct. They would rather you call the non emergency number and they will send an officer out to help you out.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Perhaps son, if your original post contained more detail no one would react the way they did. Perhaps if you didn't come off as a teenager driving a car wondering if the warranty runs out and they break down then do they call 911, then no one would have reacted. Perhaps if you didn't lead everyone to believe that you were dense enough to think that the warranty on that car you own running out in any way correlates to using AAA, then no one would have reacted.

No one is saying that if you're broke down in a dangerous area you should not call 911. You made it sound like you needed to call them for a ****ing flat tire at the local spermarket would prompt you to call 911.

If you're unable to actually understand when it is appropriate to call 911 then maybe you should call your local police station, m sure they'd be more than happy to assist you.

If you want to know what AAA does then go online and read about their services.

It seems to me that you're asking questions you clearly know the answers to, so I have to ask ... Why ask at all?

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I swear waloshin has multiple accounts on here.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah no ****, right?
    Before I got my license I learned to change my oil, my tire, and my battery. I learned to jump start my car and learned what roadside service I had and what they were good for. I learned what to do if stopped on a freeway and who to call. It is totally inane to me that parents and/or drivers education courses aren't teaching this today.

21. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Ok, next time I'll be more clear, but at least it was stimulating chat.

I've had AAA in the past, but dropped the service because I've had new car roadside assist during the warranty period. Also, because I found their dispatch time to be slow when I needed them.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Long time AAA member. My wife had a tire blow out at night along a fairly heavily traveled road. Called me and I left class to go to where she was stranded. The median or shoulder she was on, was soft dirt. So I decided to call AAA to come and change it. They were there in approximately 15-20 minutes. Which I think was a pretty good response time. They changed it pretty quickly and we were on our way.

23. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I got in a car accident on the freeway once..... next to the HOV lane...

I was scared for my life...

Me along with the 2 other drivers involved just took our cars and started blocking the entire freeway morning rush! and everybody did stop!

Well...anyways... The first person to come was not a CHP but one of those LA Metro Tow Trucks, they gave me pamphlets :p and provided assistance...

That was nice... I see them a lot now!

But this is LA... not sure if they provide that assistance in you town or city

24. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Do you and your dad not drive much, or do I drive a lot? I bought my car new about a year and a half old. So far, it has around 32,000 miles on it.