Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
My friends and I may be taking a road trip from New jersey to Chicago. Are there any must-see attractions or restaurants in either city you can recommend? Any recommendations for road trip fun or stops? Thanks!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Cleveland??

R&R Hall of Fame, although I've never been there.

Chicago??

Nearest gun store.

There are no gun stores in Chicago. Perhaps if you'd visited here, you'd know that this is a very tourist-friendly city. :rolleyes: Never ceases to amaze me how some people are ignorant of the city.

To the OP- I've lived in Chicago since 1992 and it's a great place. Giordano's Pizza is one place everyone seems to always want to visit. It's good, deep dish pizza.

Also check out:

The Art Institute
Millennium Park
The Cultural Center
Wrigley Field (if you're a baseball fan, it's a must)

Don't know how old you are, but there are tons of bars and clubs to fit just about any taste.

Oh, and if you can- why not check out somewhere in Canada too? It's a beautiful country.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Cleveland: as mentioned, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There's the NASA Research Center, if you're into that. South of the city, in Canton, is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Sandusky, to the west, hosts Cedar Point, one of the best amusement parks in the country.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
But you must admit, in the grand scheme of things, what goes on in Chi goes mostly unpublished in the rest of the U.S. of A.

Perhaps they have a good thing there, and don't really want to share??

You would be the best judge of that. ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Cleveland: as mentioned, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There's the NASA Research Center, if you're into that. South of the city, in Canton, is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Sandusky, to the west, hosts Cedar Point, one of the best amusement parks in the country.

Cedar Point! Hell yes! OMG! How could I not mention that? THAT is a definite must!

But you must admit, in the grand scheme of things, what goes on in Chi goes mostly unpublished in the rest of the U.S. of A.

Perhaps they have a good thing there, and don't really want to share??

You would be the best judge of that. ;)

Visit and find out for yourself. ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Chicago:

Grant/Millennium Park
Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Art Institute (all close to one another)
Giordano's is great pizza.
walking down the "Magnificent Mile" is interesting to say the least
Navy Pier can be fun.
the beaches are cool, running/cycling/walking the lakefront path can be pretty relaxing and fun.
Wrigley Field.
Hancock Observatory is pretty nice.

restaurants and bars of all kinds all over, lots to do here.

ra noodle

Mar 14, 2008
Locate Milwaukee and Devon avenues with the city maps hopefully you have and stop at 'SUPERDAWG" genuine drive-in and stuff your faces with Chicago hot dogs......

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I'll add a few things to what lee has already mentioned...If the weather is nice, you absolutely have to go on the Wendella Architectural Boat Tour...It's fantastic. As for pizza: I'd recommend Pizzeria Due, Pizzeria Uno, or Gino's East (all downtown in the Streeterville neighborhood). If you like jazz, check out the legendary Green Mill. In addition to the Field Museum, which is great, the Museum of Science and Industry is also a lot of fun. Skip Adler Planetarium, though, which, in my experience, is the weakest of the major Chicago "museums" (using that word loosely).

If you get a chance, take in a show in the vibrant theater district (it's not New York, but it's still got a lot of great shows). Personally, I'm a fan of the Goodman. There are also a lot of great smaller companies--check the Chicago Reader for reviews.

Also definitely go see the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (tickets are often pretty cheap, esp. if you're a student) and, if possible, the Lyric Opera. Both well worth it. And the CSO often has non-orchestral things; I saw Ravi Shankar (and even met him) there last year, for instance.

As far as eats besides pizza...Amazing Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food in Wicker Park, and also a lot of different really good restaurants in Andersonville. Perhaps the best Indian food in America in Little India on Devon--it's legendary amongst Indian Americans.

If you're into NPR, "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" records live every Thursday and tickets cost about $20.

That's all for now, I'll post again if I think of anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.