What to do in college?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by machacker, Sep 22, 2008.

1. machacker macrumors regular

I am a freshman in college, I just got here, and I bought my macbook in May. I love the computer, and I love using Mac. I wouldn't leave now, when the computer works like a dream. Here is the problem, for some of the things I do as a computer science major the computer is slow-er. When I say slower, I mean, it seems like it has to think for too long.

I have heard from a lot of people that I need to get a macbook pro. And honestly, I would love the higher processor speed. But that would really be the only difference. I have 4gb of ram. I have 250GB hd.. I mean, it has all the nice stuff in it, but I think the difference in the processor would be really worth it.

So here the question(s) 1. Is there any benifet for me getting MBP over my MB? and if there is 2. How do I go about selling my MB? it's in perfect condition.

Thanks guys!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the MacBook has the same processor as the MacBook Pro but just at a slower clock speed which youd only notice the difference if your processor was at full load.

the only difference is the MacBook Pro has a bigger LED display, dedicated graphics, better speakers, Firewire 800, multi touch, illuminated keyboard and a bigger stock HDD. so if you need these extra specs then go for the MacBook Pro.

3. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I had the Pro and went back to the MB, Not a Fan of the pro.

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

There is a big difference between the two. First of all it is not only the processor speed that is faster, you also have a faster system bus and I believe the RAM is faster both of which gives you a lot more throughput to the processor cores. You also gain the benefits of a dedicated graphics card which means no sharring video memory with the RAM. These things and a few other goodies make the MacBook Pro a much faster machine than the MacBook. All in all, I would recommend the pro for a CS student but since you are a freshman the MacBook would probably suit you for your first two years but by then you will be yearning for a better computer.

If you plan on getting a Pro, I'd try to sell the MacBook to a friend but if that fails I'd list it on Ebay.

5. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

MBP doesn't have integrated graphics, so theoretically it should perform better even with very similar processor. But I think upgrading now isn't the best idea - you've got a working computer, and if you're willing to wait until after the rumored release of new MB/MBPs, you would've more choice. I don't think you'd get significantly less for your MacBook then, the prices are already down because of these rumors. And since you're in for more power, you'd likely be better off with new MacBook Pro rather than with a bit outdated model sold now, even if the update turns out to be comparatively minor and not the expected redesign.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

The MacBook and MacBook Pro have the same BUS and RAM speed.

from EveryMac.com

7. Mr$Whale macrumors member

Hmmm..interesting dilemma. Perhaps you could elaborate on what programs you're using specifically, and be a little more in detail about how your macbook is 'slow'.

I would just try to use university computers right now, if that's an option. I use the computers in the library (new iMacs, thanks to a tech-only fund our school has) to write papers and other stuff, so that could be an option. As one other poster pointed out, you're just beginning with university and things change quickly. Are you in a tech school, liberal arts school, engineering school, state university, private? My friend came to school intending to be a bio major, but after taking a semester of classes he decided it wasn't for him, and switched to art. Depending on courses offered and professors, you may change your opinion. Plus a MPB is a pretty big investment compared to the MPB.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I was wondering what type of stuff you do that you think its slow? Most of my computer science classes involve coding and the only time I have any slowdown is compile time (naturally) or when I have a memory leak in a program I have written.

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

the only difference would be if you got the 2.5 or 2.6 model, not only because of the clock speed, but the L2 Cache is also double...so that helps quite a bit actually.

but of course, if you do upgrade, you still would want to up the ram if you want to see a big improvement over what you already have...it really depends on the apps you run

10. wolfenkraft macrumors regular

... you're doing it wrong.

I only have 2 classes left for my BS in CS. I had an ibook g4 for most of that. What could you possibly be doing other than playing games that makes your processor have to "think" for that long? If you're compiling and it is taking that long, reexamine your code. If you're running an app you've written and it's taking a long time, reexamine your code.

Writing a gui network capable card game in java worked fine with my ibook as the server and one of the 4 clients. So, I'll say again... You're doing it wrong.

11. machacker thread starter macrumors regular

I am more than willing to admit there is something I am doing that is wrong. namely since most of you have already mentioned my problem spots, I assume that I am the one who made the mistake...Compiling my programs seems to take forever. I assumed it was because of either the really bad C++ program we were using, or because my computer just wasn't up to par. My original thought was that if it already took about 2 minutes to do something with my code, that when it got to the higher power stuff later on, it would be worse and my macbook wouldn't be up to par. I have noticed that there are a few other times when my computer runs slower than I think it should, mostly when running my C++ program and MS office at the same time. It seems to drag a little. But that sounds like it is more my poor coding to blame. :D

I think right now I am just going to hold off and wait for the update that might come. My computer works fine right now, I was just wondering if there was a chance that in the near future with more CS stuff to come, I would be needing a more powerful machine. I am at a Public University, UNC Charlotte actually, and I am in the Software Information Systems program. Lots of math, lots of coding. So I was just hoping that my machine was going to hold up through all of it. Sounds like it will for now, and in a few years I'll play up to the MBP.

thanks for all your advice guys! It really helped!!!

12. wolfenkraft macrumors regular

Sorry for coming off like such an ass earlier. My first instinct after reading your post and being told by my boss that our deadline for development was pushed up. Anyways, your machine should be plenty fast for EVERYTHING you have to do. I write tons of java, perl, c/c++/obj-c, and like I've said, my ibook g4 was fast "enough" but I wanted a bigger screen so I went for the macbook pro. Really the only advantage as far as you NEED to be concerned is the screen size and higher resolution. Coding-wise, you should be absolutely set with anything. The first portable I ever coded on was a 10" sony vaio with a p3 ultra low voltage 850mhz. It was fast. If you're worrying about compilation and run speed on your machine, don't run ms office. Office is slow on every mac I've ever tried, assuming you mean the newer version, 2008. Try your programs with some other office suite open, it'll probably be much faster. Just a thought.