What to do in Houston... or in Texas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cormier6083, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

I was thinking about taking a vacation and one of my thoughts were to go to Houston. Thing is, I don't know what to do in Houston... or in Texas for that matter. For one, I would like to visit my very first Apple store. I just would like to do something in Texas. Any ideas?

2. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

3. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Houston is a huge piece of flat concrete with lots of traffic. With a good
    bankroll it can be fun if your a shopper.

If not, go another 170 miles west to Austin. Hills, lakes, club scene, 2 Apple stores (go to new Domain store in North Austin-brand new and HUGE). Great running and cycling town. Lot different than Houston/Dallas.

4. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Don't know about Houston but in El Paso, Texas, there's nothing to do but eat, shoot, count cows....., that's it. I'm sure Houston has some kind of night life.

Try this:

www.houston.tx.us/stuff-to-do.html

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I lived in San Antonio for a while, so I'll share my knowladge.;)

One word: festivals. There's usually some kind of celebration going on, in pretty much any city in the state. However, Houston isn't the best choice, it's not really a good place to visit. I reccomend Austin or San Antonio, maybe El Paso if you like...desert.

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Frankly, Houston sucks. The humidty will be nearly 100% and it will be DAMN hot.

If you want to do Texas, San Antonio is a much more tourist friendly town, as is Austin.

Dallas probably has the most variety, though....

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Houston has the Johnson Space Center...I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there a few months ago.

I was actually visiting a friend in Austin on that trip, and that's a great town. Lots of outdoors stuff, great bars, etc. Has a lot of the benefits of a college town, but is big enough that it's not solely defined by that.

We took a quick trip down to San Antonio, and I wasn't impressed. Didn't have much time to spend there though...pretty much just the Alamo/Riverwalk area. Much of the Riverwalk is a regular mall with a cesspool of water at ground level. The Alamo was pretty cool, but being surrounded by wax museums and Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not tourist traps takes a lot of the luster off of it.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Sit in an air conditioned location. Get in air conditioned car. Drive on massive highways to next air conditioned location. Repeat. ;)

9. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I visit Houston about once or twice a year to go on a shopping binge. If you have the money to spend, The Galleria is a whole day of fun with more than just shopping. The Woodlands is also a nice area to visit.

Other than that....we didn't do much else. Houston goes on forever and never seems to end as you drive away from it. It used to be a much more popular place to visit before Astro World closed down a few years ago.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You forgot the soggy/sweat soaked dashes to go from one location to another.

At least in Phoenix, the sweat tends to evaporate while you lie dying on the ground from the heat. ;)