What to do in New York.. by yourself?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iParis, Oct 28, 2013.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Over two weeks ago I moved to Manhattan, New York to temporarily live with my best friend and his wife while I finish taking my real estate courses and can move out. Well now they're out of town for 8 days for their anniversary and I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm starting to go crazy just sitting in this apartment with so much outside. I just have no idea where to start or what to do. They have a car so I don't even know the subways and bus stops well yet, but it's getting repaired right now. I know no one else here aside from my friend's pot (which I'm so pissed I'm out of) dealer, but she lives all the way in Brooklyn. I'm going to go outside these walls in a little bit.. but I'm scared for some reason. Haha.

Anyway, anyone know of some stuff to do that isn't too pricey or by a small chance would possibly like to meet up to do something? I just turned 21 and some of my friends from New Mexico suggest I go clubbing, but that's not really my thing and again, I don't know where to start and am a noob at getting around.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The MET and MoMA jump instantly to mind. That could easily take up 8 days for me. There are of course numerous other museums to see.

Explore! Something I might do is search for a good cup of coffee and an independent bookstore. I suppose it is starting to get chilly over there, but there are plenty of parks to sit around with a book or just to people watch.

What you fail to mention is what you enjoy doing! Whatever you like to do, you can surely find in NYC.;)

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Along with the museums mentioned above, the Guggenheim is a treat outside and in. Also, my childhood favorite, now much improved, the Museum of Natural History on 86th Street is wonderful.

And just walking around just about anywhere (during the day) will lead you off in many enjoyable directions. Central Park, it's somewhat undeserved reputation notwithstanding, is a wonderful place to spend a couple of hours.

Night time wandering does require some advice from a local on where to avoid...but that leaves a whole lot of Manhattan (which I'm assume you mean by "New York") to explore.

Have fun!:D

4. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I think I'll take a visit to at least one of those while I'm gone! I'm all the way up at 189th in Washington Heights, so it'd take me a bit. Ah well, I need to learn to commute and get around sometime! Since they're much more expensive than any museum I would have been to in NM I'll want to make sure I can go as long as possible, though I'm sure it will be way, way better than anything else I've ever seen.

It's surprisingly warmer here than in Albuquerque right now, so I don't mind it! Thanks you, that's a pretty good idea! There's an awesome park across the street and a few Ellen Hopkins books I have yet to read. I could read them on my iPhone.. but that just wouldn't feel the same.

It kind of sucks, though one of the reasons I moved here was to help me find what I enjoy doing. I felt dormant in New Mexico and like I didn't know who I was. I had an okay job, but wasn't going anywhere in the long run and pot was affecting me way too much. My views on it haven't changed, but if it's to be used, definitely only in moderation and at a rate you can afford. I'm hoping here I can discover more things I like to do. Even if I didn't really enjoy something before, it's seemingly a lot more interesting and cool here!

That's a good one! Now I have couple different options! Once I get the subways down I'll be able to plan out where to go. When I visited my friend, Micah, last year they lived on 107th and 5th ave, right across from Central Park. It was closed though due to the hurricane so I never got to go inside it.

And yeah, the night time wandering is exactly one of the reasons I'm asking on where to go and advice before doing anything, haha. Where we live is nice and the have a great apartment for anywhere in the city, but it's a little ghetto. Like there's no homeless people and it's not that trashy, but it's still ghetto in a way and everyone is up all ******ng night blasting their Dominican jams. Yet everyone has a mini van, Bentley, or Mercedes; so basically the three of us are convinced we're surrounded by drug dealers. I know a lot of NY is like this, but it's way different from where they used to live and people get sketched out by this neighborhood. For example, yesterday someone on craigslist refused to meet up with Micah to buy his iPhone because he said he lives in Washington Heights. I think I'm going to buy a knife today..

I'll probably wait to do random wanderings until I'm not in this area. Haha.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Have they put up the tree in Rockefeller Plaza yet ? Or is that Thanksgiving. In any case that's a nice place to visit. Along with going to MSG for something.

Take a trip to Liberty Island too.

6. mobilehaathi, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

With respect to the price, the MET admission fee is actually a recommended donation. If you can afford to pay the full price, please do as it supports the museum, but otherwise you can give them any amount including $0.

MoMA is free Fridays from 4pm until closing, but it is oppressively crowded at those times to the point that last time I went I wasn't really able to enjoy myself.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I am from upstate NY so when I go down there my wife likes to do things from movies. I dropped her off to JFK airport last week, the wife and kids went to Japan for 5 months. This time they did some shopping on 5th Ave and Times Square, then we went to some pier in Brooklyn so my wife and mother in law could sit on some bench and we took pictures of them on the bench with NYC and the Brooklyn bridge in the backgound.

There are many "tourist" famous sites people like to visit. The Friends buildings, the library from ghostbusters, places from The Day After Tomorrow. The Empire State Building, or the Statue of Liberty.

Not sure if site seeing is your thing or maybe you want to go to clubs?

8. musicjunky macrumors regular

9. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Nyc

Ask a cop where you can get a good Kosher Cornbeef sandwich and he will give you a few names....go there for dinner as the prices are kind of high.
    You will love the 3" thick sandwich...order Matzah Ball soup too. This is what NYC is known for and unavailable in most cities, especially where U come from.
    See a play....in the afternoon there is a both that sells seats at a discount ask any cop.
    Take a bus tour that will show you important places.
    Go to the statue of liberty.
    Go to Macy's and find a nice scarf for the winter.
    Dance clubs are expensive....they do that to keep out minorities figuring they cannot afford the cover.
    DON"T rent a car...no place to park.
    Go to central park...no admission charge and its very, very big and a great place to go....take a walk after the Corned Beef.
    Walk down central park and see the rich people get in and out of their Limos.
    Go to China Town and get a good Chinese meal...I suggest Brocoli-Beef
    with rice.
    Learn how to take the subway or take the bus.
    Ignore anyone who speaks to you on the street.
    Take pictures or video...it could be your last time in NYC

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

All excellent suggestions. 2nd Avenue Deli is the place for corned beef or pastrami. Awesome matzah ball soup too.

Check out the Apple Store on 5th Avenue and FAO Schwarz, which is across the street. Central Park is 2 blocks from there.

Wo-Hop's in Chinatown on Mott Street. It's below street level, looks like a dump and has the best Chinese food I've ever head. Walk a few blocks to Little Italy and eat a cannolli for dessert.

Forget Liberty Island. Go down to the South Street Seaport and take a boat ride around the harbor. You'll see the Statue of Liberty as well as quite a bit else.

Check out John's Pizza on West 44th Street for the best pizza ever then walk around the theater district and Times Square.

11. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Manhattan...

Go all the way down and start walking all the way up. Prepare to walk, and sig sag, so you can go side to side. Lots of things to watch.

12. alexderle macrumors newbie

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Take the L train to Williamsburg and find Smorgasburg. Thank me later.

The Apple store on 5th Ave is a fun spot.

Century 21 or Cortlandt St. if you are a clothes shopper.

Katz's Deli.

Any Shake Shack.

Take a Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan.

Do not go to the top of the Empire State Building. It's ridiculously crowded, overpriced and cramped. Go instead to the Top of the Rock. Arguably better view, inarguably more civilized.

Swipe your credit card at a Citibike kiosk and rent a bike for $10/day (in 30 min trips). Riding a bike in NYC is not for the faint of heart, but is exhilarating and rewarding.

Galleries in Chelsea. Chelsea Market while you're there.

Walk along the Hudson promenade from Battery Park to the 72nd St. Boat Basin for a great afternoon in nice weather.

Eataly, Mario Batali's Italian supermarket/restaurant carnival is fantastic. 23rd St @5th Ave.

MOMA is a must and you can see it all in one visit. The Met is daunting but great.

The Guggenheim is a great space, but check the show. If you don't like the artist(s) it can be trying (cramped, hot, and crowded).

Off the beaten path...

Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum
    The Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side (before or after lunch @ Katz's)
    The Paley Center for Media (formerly the Museum of Television & Radio)
    Time Warner Center if you need a mall fix. Eat at Bouchon.
    McSorely's; GO.
    Governor's Island

I could go on but that's a month's worth lol...

14. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Holy crap, thanks for all the input, guys! Yesterday I kind of just started wandering, ran into a random park and took pictures, then walked down Broadway for a couple hours. I think I'll take a trip to the 5th ave Apple Store today if I can figure out the subway then wander around that area for a bit. I hate sleeping in so late here. It makes me feel like I wasted so much time.

15. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Wait. Are you sure the Museum is on 86th and not 79th and Central Park West?

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sure that you are right.:eek:

It's been MANY years since I've been there, and I'm sure that my memory of the address is wrong. At my age, my memory of breakfast is not to be trusted! Of course, they might have moved it just to embarrass me!

Thanks for the correction...:D

17. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I was going to go to the 5th ave Apple Store (went to Upper West Side today) then John's Pizzeria tomorrow, but then found out they don't have the option of a slice. Dx

EDIT: I feel dumb. I might as well get a little personal one.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If you must go to John's (it's good, but there is better) go to the original on Bleecker. 44th St is decent pizza, but it's inside a massive old church, which sound cool on paper, but it's swamped with tourists and very noisy. Bleecker Street is the real deal. Older oven. Older room. Older NYC.

----------

Complete and utter nonsense.