What to Do in Singapore

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac 2005, Jul 18, 2007.

1. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I have an upcoming 9-hour layover in Singapore that I can enjoy one of two ways: Lounging in the Singapore Airlines lounge or seeing sites of interest within a reasonable cab/train/bus ride of the airport. I will be there in late August.

Any recommendations?

2. puzzle macrumors newbie

You can't miss the orchid gardens/national park. It is gorgeous!

The Raffles Hotel was also fun to have lunch in. We ate in some courtyard in some bar and a downpour came out of nowhere--so cool!

Hope you enjoy it! I wish I could go back, even for nine hours.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I can tell you what NOT to do, don't chew gum and spit it out on the sidewalk.:eek:

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

6. kristiano macrumors regular

Yeah well they don't cane you...

Anyway you can visit Orchard Road, which is the main shopping district. There are 2 pretty big Apple resellers within 5 minutes of each other.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Go to Raffles long bar, get yourself a Singapore Sling and some peanuts.

Eat Crab masala at Clark Quay - or if you're there in the evening, try out the night street maket food in the same place.

Get a Laksa soup anywhere.

Visit little India - walk around the markets there.

Shop on Orchard road.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

9. Caezar macrumors 6502

I concur. If you stay in Singapore in the evening / at night, the Night Zoo is an amazing experience. I went there twice and loved it. Much better than any other zoo I went to.

10. mac 2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

The Night Safari is a great idea, but I'm not in Singapore long enough. My layover is from 1450 until 2350 on a Saturday.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Keep 'em coming, please.

11. puzzle macrumors newbie

Go to Boat Quay or Clarke Quay (pronounced like key,) it's nice at dusk. I had dinner there one night. 'Twas fun.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to check out www.tripadvisor.com. They're a great travel resource.

12. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

According to ASW City Guides this is the best stuff to do:

Eat: Au Jardin
    Sleep: Raffles
    Club: Velvet Underground

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Are you a veggie?

If not, you need to find a Bee Cheng Hiang (there are loads) and check out their BBQ pork. This is absolutely fantastic - I used to bring loads home to UK before they banned food imports :(

http://www.bch.com.sg/primary_brand.htm

(Hmm, don't know why my recommendations are food related!)

Also check out the Japanese department store Takashimaya on Orchard road - and the food court in the basement. Really cool and different stuff.

Singapore MRT (Rapid transit trains) are really good, but with the amount of time you're there you should just take taxis - they're cheap.

Go to the top of the Swissotel / Stamford. It's the tallest building in Singapore and you get a fantastic view over the cricket pitches to Clark Quay etc. I stayed there last time on the 23rd floor, and the view was fantastic.

14. mac 2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I love BBQ pork, so thanks for the recommendation. I've been to Singapore before between flights but never with this much time. Usually, I hang out at W.H. Smiths -- something I wish we had here in America.

15. Caezar macrumors 6502

I also suggest going to Little India. If you have never been to the Indian sub-continent, you will have a glimpse on its culture. The food there is very good and the temples are worth a visit.

I would advise you to split your time between Orchard Road (trendy shopping) and Little India.

16. angelneo macrumors 68000

I live in Singapore. These are all good suggestions. It's a small country, you can basically travel from one end to another in less than 1 hour on a cab (including traffic conditions). To let you know, the airport is on the eastern side of Singapore, you will need to travel to the central where there are more sights to see. You can take the train, (about 45mins train ride, approx S$2 dollars) to City Hall, or Orchard Road. or the cab in less than 20 mins, approx S$20 dollars inclusive of surcharges.

If you need any help, PM me, and I can provide you with more details.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am there next week. What are good places for Mac stuff or iPod related electronics?