What to do in two half days in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theBB, Oct 18, 2009.

1. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

We are going to be visiting Australia this week for the first time. Thanks to Virgin Blue changing our flight schedule months after we bought the tickets, now we have three half days and two full days instead of four full ones in Sydney. Our plane is going to be departing the domestic terminal at 3pm on Sunday. We are staying in downtown, close to Central Station. What is a fun activity or sightseeing opportunity for those half days without risking a missed flight?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Eat at Thai Pothong in Newtown!!! :D. Oh, and rent a car, and go to the Blue Mountains for a day.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Go over the Sydney Harbor bridge, if your up it climb it as well! Visit the opera house, go up center point tower, get on the ferri's and cruise around the harbor

4. theBB thread starter macrumors 68020

theBB

In just half a day?

5. theBB thread starter macrumors 68020

theBB

By the way, what is a good website for weather forecasts in Sydney? I tried three different sites, they all predict different temperatures and conditions. Cloudy, sunny, rainy, I've got them all for Friday or Saturday. For Sunday, they all agree on rain. I guess that counts as a strong confirmation. :)

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Spring time? Pretty much all the conflicting forcasts are going to be right at some time of day.

Don't stretch yourself too thin, just hang out, check out The Rocks, have a beer at The Australian under the Harbour Bridge. It's light till late now so there's plenty to do.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Dinner on the Harbour
    Event at the Opera House

8. tooz macrumors 6502

for the weather use bom (bureau of metrology). this is the most reliable place.
    www.bom.gov.au

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Don't have to do all of that! just suggestions but would recommend centre point tower.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Am I going to get slapped for saying you need to visit the Apple Store Sydney? :rolleyes:

11. jake.f macrumors 6502

Unless you have never been to an apple store, don't go to it. Go to the top of centrepoint tower, maybe the powerhouse museum if that kind of thing interests you.

12. djellison macrumors 68020

Having watched the reality TV series about border security in Sydney - here is a full and entertaining itinerary for two half days in Sydney.

Get in through passport control, immigration and customs.
    Get back out through passport control, immigration and customs.

:)

13. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

It tell u if i ever go back to sydney been 10 years now, i will be visiting it! Last time i was there i watched the bee gees live at olympic stadium

14. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Ummm.... Harbour Bridge climbing, visit Luna Park + Apple Store, walk around Queen Victoria Building if you want to do some serious shopping. Chill around Darling Harbour, catch a movie at IMAX, eat dinner at Centerpoint Tower's restaurant that overlooks Sydney CBD, visit the aquarium... go on one of those speedboats if you're in for a thrill! Heaps of stuff to do in Sydney. :)

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

+1

Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour, The Rocks, Opera House, Center Point Tower, Pitt St. Mall (get a free hug from Juan Mann), Aquarium, Ferry to Manly, Taronga Zoo, I believe the Arnotts factory in Paramatta is still open and schedules tours (it's been 13 years; someone correct me if I'm wrong).. Too bad footy season is over, otherwise I'd say take in a match at the SCG or Telstra Stadium.. Bondi Beach, and the Royal Botanical Gardens. All within a good walking distance from Circular Quay (with the exception of the train to Paramatta, and the 15 - 30 minute ferries to the Zoo and Manly).

BL.

16. theBB thread starter macrumors 68020

theBB

Well, we did not go into it, but we got to admire it from the outside while we were walking down George St. It looks quite impressive at night.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We even got a chance to go to Blue Mountains. It turned out much better than I expected. Darling Harbor was amazing at night on Halloween, but it seems that part of town would be crowded every Friday and Saturday night. I did not know Sydney would be so active at night. By the way, I gotta say Botanic Gardens should be up there with the other more famous spots. It is quite underrated. I really enjoyed walking through it.

I even started blogging about our time in Australia, in case anybody wants to take a look at it:

http://baytekin.wordpress.com/