What to do :( (lost job)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iLoveMyMBP, May 18, 2007.

1. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

Hey all....

I know there are a lot of threads about people who are miserible and who aren't enjoying life but I'm having a real issuse and I can't seem to shake it.

To make a long story short. About a year ago I was involved in a horrible ATV accident which left my left leg pretty much mangled. I ripped my calf muscle and my achilies tendon out of my leg. About 2 weeks ago I found a job as a door person at a local college bar. My duties were pretty much to check id's and keep the trouble out. Well tonight the bar "let me go" and it was such a perfect job because I could sit down and didn't involve much standing. It took me a long time to find this "perfect" job. I never had the feeling of enjoyment and pleasure to go work.

I've been looking online for job openings and to my dismay I haven't found anything that I feel capabile of doing cause of my leg :(

I'm running out of patience and most of all faith in myself as well as others are too. Both my brother and sister have really good jobs and I hate being the "black sheep." It's getting to the point where my girlfriend doesn't want to be with me and if I lose her I truly will have given up :(

Any feedback would be awesome and gratefully appericated thought this really really hard time. I know I can always turn to my mac to cheer me up
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I dont know what the laws are like where you live but where I am a person with an injury like that can always get temporary disability up to 18 months so they can heal up properly.
    If the damage is permanent and restricts what kind of jobs you can do , apply for permanent disability status. It will help you get a job that you can do and in case you cant work you can get assistance from the gov't. Wont be much but better than nothing.

I dont know what you can do about the girlfriend - if you two are living together and she is now left to pay with everything I can see why it would be a little awkward. Or she might be used to a different standard of living when you worked. What did you work in the last year? your post mentions that you found a job two weeks ago? were you unemployed the rest of the time?

3. iLoveMyMBP thread starter macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

Yes I was unemployed for that whole time. I live in Wisconsin and I've applied for disibility and social security and I got denied 3 times. And the job that I recently had was a door person checking ID's at a local college bar. And as for the girlfriend no we don't live together as of now...so we don't have to split costs of rent etc....

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Why is your leg still hurting a year after the injury?

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Some injuries dont heal well. Once the Achilles is torn, its screwed for life. and it keeps on tearing later on.

I have had my right ankle broken 5 times. after the second time it didn't take much to go again. Right now I walk with a noticable limp. I cannot stand up for long periods of time nor wear any sort of business shoes. I am limited what jobs I can work in because of that. My ankle is theoretically healed from the last break but it is not very functional and I am waiting for complete reconstruction surgery. Fortunately I my work does let me sit down quite often, thought it is awkward to lecture to class sitting down.

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

To the OP

I suggest that you go to school and get a degree or at least a diploma in a field that does not require long periods of stantind or walking around. There are lots of jobs out the that pay well and let oyu sit on your butt all day but they might not interest you.
    You can pretty much kiss goodbye any chance of having an active lifestyle again, the risk of the achilles tearing is way too high, even riding bicycles is out of the question. So you need to rethink your entire life career plan thing.
    I am not sure how old you are so this might not be that big an issue, just requiring you to be honest with yourself.

I dont know if you had any visits to a physiotherapists to strenghten the injury area. I highly recommend them, even if they dont improve the area much the physiotherapist will carry a stronger voice than a family doctor on getting permanent disability approved.