What to do--need new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eldy, May 21, 2009.

1. eldy macrumors 6502

I got my 2.5G iPhone 22 months ago and it was stolen yesterday.

If I purchase a subsidized iPhone 3G now, will I be eligible to upgrade in a few months when the newer iPhone is released?

2. The Governor macrumors regular

Maybe yes, maybe no. Nobody would be able to give you a definitive answer here...if that's what your looking for.

Could you make it until the WWDC with a cheap flip phone? By that time, hopefully, answers to questions like these will be answered.

3. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I'd advise to make do with a cheap phone (even better if you know someone with a spare old phone) and wait until July when a new iPhone is likely to be released. Either way, we will know in about 3 weeks if there is a new model or not.

I wouldn't take the risk of starting a new contract now.

4. ppool123 macrumors newbie

No. Why would you. Is ATT about pleasing you? No.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

They will not subsidize 2 phones in 2 months. As said many times, the 1st iPhone was not subsidized so they made the exception for early upgrades.

I would get a temp phone, because my guess would be you will have to pay full price when the new one comes out. We won't know until June 8th.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Another vote for getting a cheap replacement phone and waiting until the new one is introduced.

8. zedsdead macrumors 68040

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I vote cheap replacement! Unless you absolutely HAVE to have an iPhone, I would consider the Bold (slick as hell).

10. eshroom macrumors 6502

Shall we turn this into a poll? :D

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting.

11. eldy thread starter macrumors 6502

If I wait, is there a way for me to get phone numbers from the backup files on my computer?

There's a ton of contacts there that I need the numbers and addresses for. :(

12. tommy8884 macrumors member

no one NEEDS an iPhone LOL. Just get cheap phone, most people have old phones. Borrow one, wait till the 8th of June, if a new one gets announced, get that. Otherwise get a 3g

13. tommy8884 macrumors member

Did you sync to outlook? If so then just sync your new phone or just open outlook and click contacts. They are all in there

14. eldy thread starter macrumors 6502

no, i didn't sync to outlook.

i think i'll have to borrow someone else's iphone to restore my backup to so i can grab the contacts then they can restore to theirs.

will my 2.5G backup restore on a 3G?

15. dotLK macrumors newbie

I agree with everyone else. If you can wait, get one of those prepaid phones and use it for the mean time.

If you cannot just get a 3G iPhone.

As far as back up. I'm not sure as I'm still new to this iPhone world, but I think it can.

16. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

All your contacts should be in address book.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go to OSX, open Address Book

18. Perk macrumors member

Don't purchase now. Get a PAYG or something, wait it out, if you don't like what's released or coming out anytime soon. Get a 3G, then. Being in Italy, I'm not sure if by then (new iPhone) you are still eligible for a 3G and not the *new one.*

I just think if you purchase now, you won't going to be eligible for an upgrade. People with contracts about to expiry will be piror for an upgrade (I think.)

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hopefully he had sync enabled.

20. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

You really should wait till after WWDC to make a decision, also ALWAYS keep a "back up phone" my iPhone crashed and I had to send it to apple to get fix. If I didn't have that extra phone I would of been with out a phone for about a week:eek: