Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
For various reasons which I do not want to go into I had to sell both of my Mac Pro's and my 30" ACD will be next. I spend 5 days a week in a place that has no TV nor cable or satellite. I still have my 17" MBP but the screen is a bit small to watch movies on from bed so I'm gonna do something. If you were me what would you do?

Hackintosh a 20" iMac G4

Buy and MDD and get a 1080P screen

Find a white G5 iMac

or other

Keep in mind that white Intel iMac's still bring ~$400

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
For various reasons which I do not want to go into I had to sell both of my Mac Pro's and my 30" ACD will be next. I spend 5 days a week in a place that has no TV nor cable or satellite. I still have my 17" MBP but the screen is a bit small to watch movies on from bed so I'm gonna do something. If you were me what would you do?

Hackintosh a 20" iMac G4

Find a white G5 iMac

or other

Awwww! That sucks Chris! G5 iMac too flimsy. You'd be much better with your MBP. Just buy a decent 1080p screen.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Here's an idea that will not cost you a cent!
Watch your movie on the MBP, when it's over, then go to bed and sleep.

I watch movies and TV on a 15" MBP all the time and find it perfectly acceptable.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Why not a G5 PowerMac and a Cinema display? Where do you live where even white Intel iMac still bring $400? Here in the midwest, 06 and 07 models can be had pretty easily under $300.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
The difference between a 20" and 17" screen isn't a lot, imo. Very small upgrade in screen size for the expense.

Why not just buy a 24" (or larger) monitor and use the MacBook? What do larger monitors cost in Germany? Can you find a deal on a used one?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Here's an idea that will not cost you a cent!
Watch your movie on the MBP, when it's over, then go to bed and sleep.

I watch movies and TV on a 15" MBP all the time and find it perfectly acceptable.

I can't, I need the noise to sleep..

=====================

Maybe I should just pick up an external and be done with it for a bit..

Thanks guys

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

Hackintosh a 20" iMac G4

Find a white G5 iMac

or other

Sorry to hear you had to sell your pro's. Won't inquire.

I'm not sure what you point to with "Hackintoshing a 20" iMac G4" - why exactly would not the 20" do as such?

An MDD with enough oomph to play your files will probably only be useful if you watch high-volume action flicks and have a decent sound system - otherwise what you hear is the wind tunnel and rattling of the PSU fans (I admit an MDD can be silenced - I've done it myself, but even though I cut three quarters off the sound level, it's still three times noisier than my 2008 MP.)

The iMac G5 is risky. Sure, If you find one which has made it thus far, it won't have the most common defects, but...

others:

That you feel the 17" has too small a screen means you're not having it anywhere close - I just yesterday sat watching some flicks on my iPad. Sure, I had to hold it in my lap, but I'd say the viewing angle was comparable to a tv at recommended viewing distances.

If you definitely want a 20" screen minimum, I'd look for either a "cheapo" monitor to go with an early intel Mac Mini (I regularly see those for ≈ 150 €) or a 20" intel iMac

A used PC box with a 20" LCD ;)

RGDS,

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I might have to keep the original MP it started giving me serious headaches while boxing it up to ship. :(

That'd be $800 I could use right now. On a related note I found a 23" Dell 1080 with a 19" that sorta kinda matches for $110.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I might have to keep the original MP it started giving me serious headaches while boxing it up to ship. :(

That'd be $800 I could use right now. On a related note I found a 23" Dell 1080 with a 19" that sorta kinda matches for $110.

go with what you thinks best based on your current circumstances

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.