What to do to keep 20 million records secure

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Eraserhead, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Based on the UK's latest shambles with keeping our child tax register data secure, which includes 25 million names addresses and dates of birth.

Basically the UK government posted the data through the normal postal service, and it got lost :rolleyes:.

I'm curious to see what the members of Macrumors do (if you can say)/would do to keep confidential information secure.

Personally I'd keep all the data processing on one site, or connect the sites with a leased line and use 1024 bit security and only allow the managers to have access to all the data.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Actually they used TNT… they just didn't record or register it. :eek: For once Royal Mail doesn't screw up.

3. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well at least they couriered it :rolleyes:, clearly they need to do a bit more though.

4. iGav macrumors G3

But you're still at the mercy of the integrity and competency of the human element at either end.

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

A lot of my clients store equally sensitive data on their systems. There have been a few phone calls about security today :D

You just need good encryption and lock your backups in a safe. Unfortunately around 2/3 of incidents are inside jobs and there isn't that much you can do about that if the management are involved.

6. richkent72 macrumors regular

What to do to keep 20 million records secure? Don't give them to the government of course :rolleyes:

I wouldn't trust them to run a bath, let alone a secure database. And yet people keep on voting for these clowns to run the country :eek: