What to do to keep your MacBook Pro running smoothly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mariotheotaku, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

I know with my PC I had to do disk defragment and disk clean up once in a while, to keep the HD healthy and running smoothly but do I have to do something in particular to keep my MBP running smoothly?

TIA

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I second onyx. Have been using it for neigh a year probably, but its a wonderful program.

3. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Onyx (linked download)

run the automation feature then reboot a couple of times to recreate the caches.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I used Onyx too for two days and it had a noticeable effect on speed and stability in my case. Basically my start up times were much faster and safari hasn't crashed once after I ran the automation. Safari used to crash on me once per day at least. It's been running nice and faster too I noticed.

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You don't need to do anything other than run the built in Disk Utility program from the OS X install disk. And the only time you ever need to run it is if you suspect there's a disk problem. Seriously, the vast vast majority of Mac users never do anything other than an occasional Disk Utility repair over the years, and all their disks are running just fine.

7. binaryslyder macrumors newbie

I suggest you leave it the heck alone. I've had my macbook over a year now and haven't done a thing to it. You bought a mac to make life easier, right?

Occasionally it will take longer to boot from when I bought it, and on a rare occasion, Firefox will lock up. But those are easily solved by a restart.

8. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the suggestion, also I was wondering when I BC windows vista on the MBP do I have to run disk defrag and disk clean up once in a while?