what to do to reduce file size

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thepodmeister, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Thepodmeister macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am not sure if I have posted to the right area so forgive me if not. V simple question. I zipped a .doc file to upload to a job website as the file size was too large (would only accept 100kb max)
    Now it tells me that the .zip file ext will not be accepted by the website and so I tried to change the file name in the hope that this would be accepted. Unfortunately it does not seem to want to upload this and i am a bit stuck on solutions. I cannot reduce the file size by removing some info from the document as you can understand

Look forward to any tips

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to send just the unzipped .doc file. If it's too large you need to make it smaller.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If the zipped file was too big, then you have done all you can do, and failed ...unless the file can be broken down into several pieces. That should be possible with a .doc file unless it's one imported photo or something like that.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Or drop some formatting or make whatever you are trying to attach more concise. Is it a resume? I honestly have no idea how a resume can be larger than 100 kb.

5. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

You could split it into multiple smaller .rar files that can be recombined at the other end.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If the website won't accept .zip files, it's not going to accept .rar files.

7. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

My bad, I thought I saw it was for email. God knows what happened there.

How about making it into a web PDF? Will they accept that. Failing that, you just need to make it smaller i.e. if you've got embedded photos make them smaller before embedding or delete them entirely.

8. Thepodmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply on that and yes I cannot work out why it's that big as well. It's not got any visuals on it or anything just type. I will take this into consideration and let you know how things go if there's anything worth reporting back about.

Thanks again all!

:)

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Alright, now we're getting somewhere! That being the case, open the recalcitrant file, and a new, blank document. Go back to the stubborn one, and select all and copy. Then go to the new one and paste and save. Is the new file now smaller?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you use a template to create the document? Is there clip art?