What to do to switch from verizon to AT&T for iPhone 4!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevinkt, Jun 8, 2010.

1. kevinkt macrumors 6502

I wanna switch from verizon to AT&T and get the iPhone 4. How can I do this?

1) My verizon contract ended already so no prob there BUT I'm on a family plan ( is this gonna be a problem?)
    2) I wanna get 16gb iPhone 4 with $39.99 voice plan and $15 data plan and $5 messaging plan.
    3) I already have a 3G iPad with unlimited data plan( that's why I am getting lowest data plan for iPhone)

Soo.. What do i need to do in order to switch? What kind of charges might I expect? Is there a cheaper route for the same plans?

I'm sure there a lot of people who are in the same boat so for those who knows how to do this, can you please write a step by step explanation. Thanks

Kevin

2. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

Go to AT&T store and tell them you want to get the phone. Tell them you are porting over the numbers (assuming you are moving the whole family, if not then just ask them for their policy). Choose your plan, get your phone, walk out happy.

3. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for replying. Can I buy the iPhone through the Internet and set it up online or do I need to go to the AT&T store. Btw Its only me getting off my verizon family plan. Thanks

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

New contracts have to be done in store.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Actually, this should be an add a line so they should be able to do it online.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

not to hijack your thread, but its a related iPhone question:
    What are ATT's extra crap fees and such? I am planning on starting a new contract with an iPhone 4 (never been on ATT) and want the 39.99 voice, 15 data, and 1500 ($15) texts for a total of 70 bucks a month before taxes and fees. What can I expect those fees to be here in California?

7. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I don't think it's an add a line because that means they are a pre-existing customer on AT&T. I think he was switching from Verizon to AT&T so it would be creating a new contract.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's an add a line to the iPad account. Just porting a number from Verizon as an additional line.

9. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks guys. One more question assuming that iPhone 4 supplies At my local AT&T store, can I just pre order my iPhone on apple website and take it to My local AT&T store and have them set it up? Thanks

10. saDeRmac macrumors regular

They vary on actual location. Expect a $36 Activation fee, and some prorated charges if you do not start your plan on a billing cycle date. I don't think that there would be more than $12 in taxes/911/reg fees.
    The 3G iPad is billed seperately on a CC.

Bottom line you can port online, but it's smoother in the store.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why do that? Apple will set it up.

12. saDeRmac macrumors regular

The iPad is not a line it is billed seperatly from any AT&T service.

13. saDeRmac macrumors regular

You can have Apple set up all of your Verizon ports.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Last year I was able to port a number from another carrier online. But that was using a corporate account.

15. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean? Won't AT&T set it up. I was just wondering if it might be better to avoid long lines at AT&T store and have my phone ready and just get it set up. Well I don't know if it's a better way lol

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sorry, was unware of this. :eek:

You said you were going to the Apple store, THEN to AT&T? Why not just do it @ Apple? :confused:

17. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Apple can port your numbers. Apple cannot sell you a phone without activating the numbers just like AT&T. My suggestion is if you have doubts on whether you will have problems on launch day: Preorder from AT&T in a COR store as they will be able to assist you with any porting problems from your existing provider. Also, as I said before the iPad 3G is a seperate account that is billed directly to your credit card. It is not considered as a line in AT&T's network. There is no way to bundle or add lines to iPad accounts.

18. saDeRmac macrumors regular

NP I'm just clarifing to make sure everyone gets the right info. No worries. :D

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Thanks, care to help w/ reviewing the upgrade guide?

20. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I think I said Apple on
    Ine store. But anyways can I go to either Apple or AT&T local store to set up my iPhone or go to apple store and buy my phone and then go to att to set it up. Sorry for the confusion

21. saDeRmac macrumors regular

All set up is self contained. If you buy from Apple you set up at Apple. If you buy from AT&T you set up at AT&T.

22. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks. So if that's the case, I can pre order my iPhone and when I go to pick it up at the Apple store I can then set it up and port my verizon number and choose a plan?

23. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Thanks, I was worried that it might be $20+ per month :). I don't really mind the one time activation fee, and $12 per month will only bring my bill to $82 :D

24. kevinkt thread starter macrumors 6502

25. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Correctomundo.