What to do w/ 12" Powerbook G4???

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AndrewLyle, May 4, 2009.

1. AndrewLyle macrumors member

Ive had this little laptop for ages, and it runs great. I just put a new hard drive in and reinstalled the operating system (Tiger).

But the real question is what to use it for? Ive tried playing some movies with it (media center to a big monitor) but it often can't handle 720p material. I feel like its computing power is wasted...

Any fun suggestions?

EDIT: I own a late 2008 MacBook Pro 2.53.... its really BARELY a secondary computer

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You could always give it to me. :D

You could use it as a clock with the clock screensaver.

3. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I always have trouble figuring out what to do with older computers when I buy a new one. I usually feel like there MUST be some use for it, but can rarely think of any. At a certain point, a man just has too many computers. :)

4. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I know how you feel, the 12" was my favorite computer of all time I think. I don't know if you should sell it because you wouldn't get much. I say keep it and use it when you travel or anything else you want to do.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That 12" Powerbook was a champ in it's day. It's heavy by today's standards, but it was the smallest footprint you could get with a Mac.

I too have one, but the HDD died a second time, so I may not revive it at all.

I was using mine for a kick around machine.... like an Apple netbook. Only checking email and such, and never really putting any important info on..... cuz I was afraid it would crash like it just did.

The netbook is one option, another is using it as a iTunes music server depending on the size of the drive.

You could use it as a digital cookbook.

And you can always use it as a piece of nostalgia lying around the house. I have about four of those right now, but none of them work yet.

6. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

You could sell it to me, PM me, I'm interested if the price is right.:D

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Maybe a back up for travel/holidays? Not so bad to have something happen to the PowerBook as your Macbook Pro.

You could always give it away as well - anyone you know who could use one, or a kid you know who could use it for school? There's always charity as well.

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

We currently have 7 Macs for two people... I think your statement applies here.

9. molala macrumors 6502a

I would sell it. In the UK, you could still get over £250 for it, I've seen £300 on ebay but that was around Christmas. I have the impression they kept their value quite well.

That said, I kept mine. I use it at work (rather than the Dell desktop work provided). I have two newer Macs at home.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sell it, fold with it, etc.

Maybe even dedicated pr0n machine. :D