What to do?-Wait for a new 17" macbook pro or get old gen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcello440, Nov 28, 2008.

1. marcello440 macrumors newbie

I was really excited when I heard that apple would release new notebooks, because I was hoping that I would get a new laptop after keeping a dell inspiron 8500-(yes, I know YUCK), and get a new 17"macbook pro, because I want to start doing mass editing, but I was waiting so long to get this new laptop, but I would just like to know if anyone has a possible gut feeling as to whether I should continue waking for a new 17-macbook pro or just get the classic. Do you think that the 17" will even come out? And will it be overaly better than the previous genteration? lots of questions! But I value everyones opinions a lot. ThAnKs!!!

2. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I'm kind of in the same boat. I would have considered getting the 15 inch but did not like the glassy screen. We are hoping when the new 17 inch comes out, there are two choices - glossy and matte.

3. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I really dont think they will bring a matte option, i hope they do. I think its caused a big problem within the professional users.

I actually currently still love the old ones, only thing im not sure on is that : NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT , bit long in the tooth now!

I think both the new designed macbooks and the old ones are great machines

In my opinion the older macbook pros are the more 'PRO' laptop, has the ports

FW 400 and 800.

Its a great machine!
    :apple:

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. My advice would be to get the "old generation" MBP; it's tested and tried, fast, powerful, has great spec, very good performance, that lovely backlit keyboard, the superb screen, a competitive price and Apple's warranty. I have a 15" MBP (which I bought last April when I switched to Apple) and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers and good luck

5. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Waiting for the 17 inch mirror ???. Oops not turned off by glossy ?.

Its so annoying on my MBP 15in. I can only use it devoid of reflections at night. Not during the day, so my PB 15 is still great during the day. It still had the best screen ever. Fantastic matte and great brightness without LED backlit.

Grab a good 17 in matte screen today before they run out!.:p

6. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

:p

I actually thought i would not have a problem with screens and i did not really bother what they were!

I must admit glossy does look great ( on the classic mbp:) ) but the matte is the most preferred. I dont really mind either but i must admit the new screens are a little too reflective sometimes

;)

7. svndmvn Guest

I thought the new ones were compatible with both FW 400 and 800
    To the OP and anyone else on his boat, I'd wait for a bigger update to the 17" Line and if they screw up with the pros again, just by the current Gen from the refurbished section

8. marcello440 thread starter macrumors newbie

Glossy screen does not bother me much, even though I do prefer matte screen. But I'd just like to know if it's worth the wait, and if we'll see one in January.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As much as loved the older 17", the warping and stuff really didn't work out for me anymore.

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

^^

Lets hope the unibody design prevents warping.

Anyway, I was very disappointed too when they did not release the 17" at the event. I have been waiting for so long that it seems silly not to wait a little longer for exactly what I want. The reason why I don't get a 15" is because the resolution is still too damn small. 1900x1200 will be nice. I also hope that Apple possible ups the clock rate to 3.0GHz or something.

And for me, the glassy screen thing is so overblown. It's not that big of a deal unless you guys are working right in the middle of Times Square.