What to do, What to do? (HDD Upgrade)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Usoandso, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

Hello All,
    I bought my MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz with 120GB Hard Drive (stock configuration) a little over a month ago at my local Apple Store but now I'm wishing I ordered one with a bigger HDD. I'm considering 3 things: Upgrade the Hdd myself which I really don't want to do 2: Sell this MBP and buy another one with a 250GB hard drive or 3: Taking this MBP to my Apple store and having them upgrade the HDD.

I'm kinda leaning towards option 2 because I pretty much ruled out option 1 and I'm not sure if Apple stores do HDD upgrades. If anyone can tell me for sure if Apple stores do HDD upgrades I would appreciate it. I really like my MBP outside of the small HDD and don't want to sell it (at least not this year).

Thank you for your time.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd upgrade the drive yourself - it's only three screws. Really couldn't be easier.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In a MacBook, yes, in a MacBook Pro it's nearer 30: I've done it. That said as long as you are patient and record where to put the screws back (they are different sizes and lengths) it's actually quite easy to do.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

OP said MBP not MB for a hard drive upgrade process.. It's more like 25 screws to the Hard drive on the MBP compared to 3 screws on MB..

OP: Have a look here to see a HDD upgrade process on a MBP, see if you wanna do it yourself ..

5. junior77 macrumors regular

As long as it's an authorized Apple repair center, they can swap out the HDD. When CompUSA was around, I know they were able to do it. Possibly a Best Buy can perform the upgrade. The good thing is, if they break something or damage it then they are liable to repair/replace the item. But definately make sure all of what I saying is in writing before you hand over the notebook.

6. HaroldC macrumors regular

My MBP is over a year old, it's only a core duo and non-LED screen. I debated the same thing and really couldn't justify spending the extra money, Instead, I opted to upgrade the HD and got a 320G from New Egg. I've never done this before, but got the tools I needed from the local Radio Shack and used the following guide:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-Duo/Hard-Drive-Replacement/85/8/
    Taking my time and keeping track of the screws (sticking them to a piece of masking tape), it was pretty easy and only took me 30 min.

Now I've got 320G (300 actually) and the computer is faster than it's ever been. And it's quieter and runs cooler, and you can't get 320G from Apple still.

Do it, you won't regret it.

7. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Open the computer and do it yourself use www.ifixit.com to do it. I just upgraded to a 250GB myself and I am probably gonna buy a 320GB scorpio. It took me literally 25 minutes to swap the drives and another hour to do a back fill dump from time machine.

:EDIT: I think i am down to 20 minutes for the HD Swap, 51 minutes for a time machine Dump. seriously simple, I was contemplating removing the Logic Board and checking out the heat sink paste, Too bad I had no AS5!!!!

Cheers!