What to do, what to do...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mgmktx, Jun 11, 2007.

1. mgmktx macrumors member

I love my Macbook, don't get me wrong, but I also miss PC gaming. That is where my dilemma is. Getting a laptop that can actually game is at the top of my list this summer but I don't know the best course of action for me. I was set on selling my Macbook and getting a Windows laptop but after seeing the features of Leopard today I think I changed my mind.
    Here are my 2 choices (all involve selling my Macbook):
    1) Get a used MBP ($1500 limit though and preferably C2D)
    2) Windows laptop (not opposed to it at all, been a Windows user since last year and have had no problems AT ALL with their OS's)

Leopard has me leaning toward the first option but is it possible to get a great deal on a C2D MBP right now?

My Macbook for reference: White 2ghz CD, 2gb, 60gb HD, superdrive

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

How about building a gaming desktop PC, and keeping your macbook? I know you didn't mention it, but seems it would be a good solution.

3. mgmktx thread starter macrumors member

Haha forgot to mention that, had a desktop until last month but gave it to my dad because he needed a new computer and I didn't like having two computers. Also, bringing it to and from school once a year was a hassle

4. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Hmmm,

I would get a MBP cause I hate windows but if your REALLY a gamer I personally don't think there's a better option than a Windows laptop.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Keeping things synced between a PC and a Mac laptop can be a pain.

Personally, if you're a true gamer, I'd go with what aaronw1986 said... they've come a long way, but a desktop will take you so much further in gaming than a Windows laptop ever can. I'd keep the MB and build a desktop simply for your gaming needs.

6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

what about using bootcamp or the like and running windows games with that?

7. mgmktx thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I would do with a MBP if I got one. I would keep the Macbook if it had dedicated graphics

8. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

I'd much rather have a tiny-but-underpowered laptop and a separate gaming desktop. Portability never becomes obsolete!

Personally, if I wasn't able to have a gaming PC, I'd just deal with subpar gaming until I need the laptop needs an upgrade.

9. mgmktx thread starter macrumors member

Subpar gaming? More like NO gaming. :p I used to play CS:S and CoH all the time and now miss it because the Macbook's GMA950 is definitely not capable of playing them at all.

So I think I might go the MBP route. Been looking at the refurb site to catch a decent deal but can't find any right now. A few months ago I saw some refurb MBP's as low as $1300-1400. Could they get that low again before the end of the summer?

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Why not buy a Dell?

Spending $1400 on a machine with a X1600 does not sound like good value.

11. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Eh, the GMA950 runs WoW somewhat competently at performance settings. I don't see why it won't run CS:S at lowest settings, too.

That's the thing, though--you're paying so much more to get middle-range performance from a laptop. In a few years you're left with a bigger laptop that plays old games adequately. Unless you really need to game on the run...

Ah, whatever. MBP is still a great laptop.