Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veo321

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
USA
I recently bought an iPhone 3G for $630 at the Apple Store thinking I was moving to T-Mobile, my parents changed there mind and stayed on Sprint. I now have a Sprint phone which gets horrible service and an iPhone 3G in paper weight mode (I plan to unlock it with an old AT&T sim like my friend). I was going to hack it but I just don't see why I should and the iPad is out of question because of it's already Wi-Fi issues. I just want to use my iPhone for under $50/ a month with data and a little texting. What plan would I get? Should I keep the $630 paper weight?, or do I just buy an iPad? :p

P.S. Poor college students aren't made of money :D

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
I recently bought an iPhone 3G for $630 at the Apple Store thinking I was moving to T-Mobile, my parents changed there mind and stayed on Sprint. I now have a Sprint phone which gets horrible service and an iPhone 3G in paper weight mode (I plan to unlock it with an old AT&T sim like my friend). I was going to hack it but I just don't see why I should and the iPad is out of question because of it's already Wi-Fi issues. I just want to use my iPhone for under $50/ a month with data and a little texting. What plan would I get? Should I keep the $630 paper weight?, or do I just buy an iPad? :p

P.S. Poor college students aren't made of money :D

1st of all your iphone is brand new so it CANNOT jailbreak and unlock to use with any other carrier. if you wanna use the iphone your only choice is att. however, the plan is not going to cost you about $50.

AppleHack23

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
1st of all your iphone is brand new so it CANNOT jailbreak and unlock to use with any other carrier. if you wanna use the iphone your only choice is att. however, the plan is not going to cost you about $50.

No thats not completely true. He might have gotten one that still had 3.1.2, but thats not really that likely.

OP return the phone, go on eBay and buy a factory unlocked iPhone, probably around the same price. Leave Sprint, sign up with T-Mobile, and you can have a $6.99 plan. You will only have talk though I believe...But for internet use Wi-Fi, and if you do decide to get a data plan, you will only be able to use EDGE, since the iPhone's 3G radios are not compatible with the frequency bands that T-Mobile uses. You don't have to get a messaging plan, you can just download an SMS app from the App Store and use that. Hope this helps!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
dumb question

why does a poor college student buy a $630 dollar device before knowing what network they are going on! Our future looks grim! :p personally if you are not going to be with AT&T I sell it get a touch or ipad and a cell phone on the network you are on! wait till tomorrow see what they say about 4.0 what the heck. but I start getting my phone ready to sell. unless they say 100% Thursday Iphone will be going to other networks!

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
No thats not completely true. He might have gotten one that still had 3.1.2, but thats not really that likely.

.01%? even though if it had 3.1.2 on it. they still going to active and update it to 3.1.3. unless you bought online or maybe a refurb one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.