What to do when Apple updates to 4.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by powerbuddy, Aug 7, 2010.

1. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

New to jailbreaking here. I currently have a jailbroken iphone 3gs / ios 4.0.1. I submitted the shsh blobs to comex's server.

Question is... what do i do when apple releases a firmware upgrade to 4.1? I know I should wait till a jailbreak is ready for it, but how does this process go on? Should you upgrade it via iTunes or restore it and then upgrade? What happens to all those cydia apps i installed on my phone?

Thanks

2. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Dont update to the new firmware until a JB is out if you want to have a JB phone. When you update the new firmware, it deletes the JB completely. All of your Cydia apps are gone.

Install the new firmware, and then run whatever jb tool is relaesed for the new firmware

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What you should do if you want to stay JB is not update to official 4.1 thru itunes.
    You have to wait to update when tools are released to JB 4.1 or go to stock 4.1
    Every time you update and rejailbreak you have to install your cydia addons again.

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

When a new firmware comes out don't install it. You can download it so itunes will stop telling you its available but choose download only. If another jailbreak like spirit or jailbreakme comes out then you'll install 4.1 from itunes then jailbreak. If pwnage is updated for 4.1 then you can create a custom 4.1 ipsw and install that with itunes instead of installing the stock firmware first. Download pkgbackup from Cydia. This will backup your Cydia apps. Before you upgrade make a backup with itunes and then restore that backup after you upgrade. When you download pkgbackup again it will redownload what you had on your phone from Cydia.

5. powerbuddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Allright thank you guys :D

Btw, i have been warned of the shsh blobs. Once you back 'em up, what is their role during jailbreaking the next version?

6. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

They are used for let's say the new ios update is a pain and not working great having those backed up and having a URL saurik has set up In your iTunes files will allow the device to be activated as Apple stops activating the old firmware when a new one is out.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Don't bother with the d/l. Just hit the ignore message. Otherwise it'll try to install the firmware when you do a restore. That was very annoying.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, one wrong button and a few seconds later it might start installing.
    Better to avoid downloading it completely and hit ignore and check the dont ask me again box.

9. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

+1