What to do (when browsing on Edge, calls go to limbo land)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfstocktrader, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfstocktrader macrumors newbie

I love my iPhone. Even have no problem with speed of Edge-it is faster than thought. In fact, historical stock prices on Yahoo Finance load in 7 seconds with Edge.

My problem is as a stock trader, I cannot aford to miss calls and when browsing ythe web on Edge, calls go to limbo land.
    3g phones do not have this problem so I might have to switch to the Voyager.

Do you think that there could be a software upgrade to fix this?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No, this is the nature of the hardware the current iPhone utilizes, no software can change that. If you take a look around the forum there are many many threads discussing rumors of a 3G iPhone as soon as this June. Perhaps you can wait until WWDC on June 9th to see if Mr. Jobs makes any sort of announcement about it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. wolfstocktrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Because other Edge phones will interrupt data for a phone call, I was hoping that this could be fixed with a software patch.

Well, I guess this means I will be selling my iPhone and buying a Verizon Voyager!

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

In June there will be NO MORE IDEAL phone for your needs than iPhone 2. If you can't wait try not to dig too deep into a contract with Verizon; you'll be left behind.

6. wolfstocktrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Thing is, I already have a Verizon account...but how is the 3g iPhone going to affect me unless I buy it? In other words, is Apple going to do something for those of us with Edge? If not, then I remain in the same position.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

EDGE is hardware. A software patch can't change how something functions. EDGE is like Dialup. You can't make/receive calls while EDGE is loading. EDGE is not loading constantly when checking stocks, so there is a 90% chance you won't miss your call.

You should also know that there is a 3G iPhone coming out in a month or so. If you want to waste your money and get a crappy Voyager, be my guest.

8. seenett macrumors regular

Is this right? I have a Blackberry 8800 utilizing EDGE, and the browser routinely suspends when a call comes. The "incoming call" screen pops up asking if I want to answer. I am pretty sure this has happened during actually data transfer. I can't recall ever having a message waiting after browsing - indicating I have missed a call.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well said.. I have to say that people protect their iphone like it was someone they loved and get all up in arms if you say ANYTHING against it, even if you start out saying you like the phone but "inster gripe here"

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Then you could easily have done a search to know that there is no stupid software fix to fix that.

And buddy, i've used a voyager. Not for just a few minutes, i actually used it for a few days. The thing sucks compared to the iPhone. Yeah you're right i will be attached to my iPhone, because the Voyager is just a thrown together POS.

And also, to check stocks on EDGE, the phone uses EDGE for roughly 5 seconds. Chances are if someone is calling you, you will get the call because the phone rings for more than 5 seconds, and if you miss it, you will see that they tried calling in the recents, or if they left a voice mail.

11. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

You're both wrong. There are two kinds of EDGE. NOM1 and NOM2. One will allow calls to interrupt data, one will not. It really just depends on where you are, and if in your area which type is being served up. Simple.

And lets not toss around the word ignorant when someone asks a question. Especially when you're wrong. You just end up embarrassing yourself and the community you are a part of.

And, as everyone else seemed unable to provide this to their claims: evidence

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

13. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Calls not sent to the phone due to EDGE usage will not show up in your recent calls.

14. wolfstocktrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, "buddy", my wife has a disease that requires me to be in touch with her all the time. Even missing 5% of my calls-2% even-is unacceptable. And the new upgrade to the voyager has left their browser zipping along in 3g and you can now scroll before page is fully loaded(like we can).

I also have to say verizon service is much better than att. Since rest of family has verizon, I will save mucho dinero by going back to verizon.

Look, this is my problem and I simply wanted a question answered. I'm not putting down the iPhone or AAPL...my browsing and phone needs are different than yours, that's all.

15. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

You need to do what is right for you, and if that means use a Verizon phone, I say do it. My advice is to ignore just about everything nickspohn has said to you, it was either mean spirited, wrong, or both.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them, and hopefully someone sensible will answer them.

16. wolfstocktrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Lastly, I have my own stock system and I need to do more than quickly look at the last trade. There are charts, data etc. That I need to look at. It adds up to more than 5 seconds.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Looks like runplaysleeprun answered it for you. It appears the iPhone will interrupt calls in areas that have NOM1 EDGE service. Your area is probably on NOM2. So apart from moving or going with Verizon the iPhone won't be able to interrupt data.

It's not a software solution because the iPhone can already do what you ask, on NOM1 service areas. Call *3001#12345#* on your phone and it'll be able to tell you which service you're at. 3G phones handle data separately and you can even call while transferring data.

18. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

You have both an At&t account AND a Verizon account?

It sounds like if receiving phone calls is as important as your trading system, go with the Voyager for now. If you like their browser.

Remember, with the iPhone, 3G will allow you to receive calls when browsing, but if you are in an edge only area, you are back to the Nom1 Nom 2 scenario.

Or

Since you have both accounts, why not keep your iPhone for your day trading and use your Verizon account for voice only.

Of course the choice is yours.

19. wolfstocktrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Originally I had verizon and the phone that later became the en-v. Opened att account for iPhone after my verizon phone drowned. Honestly, had I known that the voyager had "full" browser, I would have gone straight to voyager.

20. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

You might want to check out the Voyager somewhere and make sure it's going to suit your needs. I've heard several people say that the web browser on the Voyager is rather inferior to that of the iPhone. But everyone is different so you might want to try it out and see what you think before investing in one.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

1) I don't know of any NOM-1 carriers in the USA. I'd love for someone to find something contrary to that.

2) NOM-1 interruption of data, requires that the phone be capable of recognizing a special paging call sent over a packet channel instead of the normal circuit channel. There's no evidence whether the iPhone has that capability or not.

3) Normal EVDO is also not capable of receiving calls during data transmission. The only USA 3G implementation that can currently do so is ATT's.

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That's cute, because they show up there for me. It's happened before, like twice in the passed 10 months. That's how many calls ive missed because i was on EDGE, and they showed up in my recents as missed a minute later.

I wouldn't ignore, because i'm actually making sense. I said a voyager sucks, because it does. There are plenty of other 3G phones out there. Did i say they suck? No.

23. wolfstocktrader thread starter macrumors newbie

I want a "full" browservwhoch is why it came down to iphone vs. Voyager. I think Helio also has a full browser but I already have Verizon. Or VZ which saves me 5 letters to satisfy the moron in the prior post.

I never said that the Voyager was a better phone. In fact, I just might hold out to see what happens with 3g iPhone. What I don't appreciate is that part of the reason I need to get ALL my calls is because my Wife has a disease that requires me to be in touch all day. And you guys remain mean spirited. Imagine if I said that I did not like the iPhone!

24. mrJnC macrumors regular

FWIW, I verified with the service number that I'm on a NOM2 network.
    I turned off WiFi. Then fired up the safari browser and started loading pages.
    Then I called my iPhone from another line.

The iPhone jumped out of Safari and prompted me that I had an incoming call. Perhaps it was in between pages or something, but it did appear to work just fine.

I'm in Charlotte, NC. 8GB iPhone v. 1.1.4, locked/never hacked, on AT&T.

25. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Sorry to hear about your dilema with the iPhone...and that you have to deal with so many selfish and uncaring fanboys here. They are an unforgiving lot and a few have severe tunnel vision, don't know how to read (and comprehend) or both. My recommendation would be to your wife and to heck with any phone or phone company. Find the one that is going to keep you in constant contact with her and then either use a different phone or account to take care of your trading. IMO the family is more important then any type of computing and I would approach it with that in mind.

When the next iPhone comes out, you will be able to do both since AT&T has the only 3G network that allows both phone and internet communications at the same time. So if you can hold out (although I wouldnt risk it) I would deffinetly keep your AT&T account and then get the new phone when its released. Maybe get a cheap pay as you go account for a direct number to always have available for your wife and use your current iPhone to track your trades.

To answer your question. This ability can not be software changed on the current model of iPhone...thus, the release of Generation 2. The internal radio is the wrong one to allow what you are asking it to do so therefore it is not fixable with software. It is a hardware issue.

Hope that helps you and that you can forget about those cold hearted S.O.B's that are stuck in the fanboy world. Take care of the wife!!!

I also attempted what mrJnC did and my phone call while surfing a website went straight to my voice mail...it did not interrupt my surf. However, the call did not go into limboland either. The call is going to register one way or another and if you are checking trades, then check your voice mail (make sure she knows to leave a message) because the incoming call did NOT register on missed or incoming either, it doesnt just do a Bramuda Triangle thing unless no message is left and then you have extreme reason to say what you are saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.